1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Web browser does not work; but MSN, and other programs do work.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by mydssbin, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mydssbin

mydssbin Thread Starter

i have VISTA installed and my problem is that IE and Firefox will not go onto the internet; but MSN, FTP, and torrent programs work fine.

How can I fix this problem?

Thanks

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Do you get any type of error message if so, tell us what you are getting?

3. mydssbin

mydssbin Thread Starter

Unfortunately no error messages.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    You say that MSN works, so I assume that you are connecting to the internet with MSN. After you are connected to the internet with MSN, if you click on the IE icon will it then open?

5. mydssbin

mydssbin Thread Starter

No it will not

6. msenesi

msenesi

Hi, i have exactly same problem.

I thought it might be driver problem.

But when I installed Virtual PC and used web browsers through it, it worked.
    But I web browsers in Vista just won't work. I don't get it.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

"torrent programs work fine."

That may be the source of the problems. Might want to start scanning for spyware.

8. 1337holiday

1337holiday

OMG i have the EXACT same problem. All i can do to solve it right now is shutdown and restart to fix it i would really like to avoid doin that if anyone can help!

-im using wireless
    -VISTA
    -msn, torrents work and i can even PING sites but it just wont show in browsers
    - dont think its torrents affecting it and i dont think its spyware either since im behind a router

9. blazemore

blazemore

Check your Offline setting (In Firefox, File-> Work Offline (uncheck))

10. 1337holiday

1337holiday

Nope its not offline. I tried a lof of things....flushing dns/releasing dns/ renew ip everything. I also run a server on my comp and even the LOCAL FILES on the web server does not load. What i mean is usually u can open files that are saved on your computer but even those dont load. Soon as the browser even opens it dies.

11. pjhutch

pjhutch

Get hold of Hijack This program and see if any malware has taken over your PC.

12. yellokirby

yellokirby

wow, i actually have that problem too. i was able to access the internet through my browser yesterday, but when i turned on my laptop today, it just doesn't seem to work. :confused: yeah, and all my other programs that need internet work fine (im clients, torrent clients, the weather thingy). i can even update virus definitions...

edit: i just discovered that if i used the google search bar in my firefox, searches do pop up, but when i try clicking any of the links, none of them work. strange.

another edit: okay i just reset my router (turned it off and turned it back on) while i rebooted my laptop, and the browser works again. dont know if its temporary or not, but at least i can use my browser now.

13. Acts7

Acts7

Not sure what is going on.
    One day IE stopped working.
    Weird thing was Firefox 2 worked fine.

Now I upgraded to Firefox 3 and it does not work either????

14. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

And neither does the MAC. This is somewhat important. If two computers, with completely different operating systems don't work, it may not be a problem with one specific one.

Are you certain you are using the correct wireless router. Again from the first post this seemed to be in question.

15. Ralph23

Ralph23

Had this issue.

Its an issue with your ISP, you have Port 80 blocked. Apps like msn, torrents, etc will work, but port 80 ("browser internet") doesn't work. Call em up.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/615994

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice