1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Web Browsers non responding

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rfcjr, Mar 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rfcjr

rfcjr Thread Starter

All programs (Word, Excel etc.) work ok, but, if I try to use any web browser it immediately does not respond after bring up the initial page. Sometimes it brings up repair sites. Very frustrating to not be able to use the web at all. Any suggestions would be appreciated. thank you.

2. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

Which browsers and versions are you using to access websites?

We know nothing about your computer, so do the following in it:
    Download and save the TSG System Information Utility (SysInfo.exe) file.
    After it's been downloaded and saved, double-click it to run it.
    Information about your computer will appear.
    Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the ENTIRE text here.

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. lynx1021

lynx1021

I had a laptop I worked on about a year ago and it was doing that. It turned out to have some kind of web redirect virus. It had Norton on it but I still had to open a browse directly from the program files and download a cleaner from Norton.

4. kenbok51

kenbok51

If you do suspect malware you might want to re-post in the malware section. If you want to test the theory yourself, you can download Malwarebytes (possibly on another PC if you can't get it because of the redirect) and run it from Safe Mode. If you already have it, update the definitions and re-boot into Safe Mode to run it. You might also want to check in your installed programs section and see if you can spot any toolbars or search programs that got installed without your knowledge.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1186911