1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

web browsing

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by dmcd, Sep 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dmcd

dmcd Thread Starter

I have just checked the speed that my broadband cable is working at and it is high - yet when I try to turn web pages, it is very slow. How can that be? Is there anything I can do about it?

2. Bruce319

Bruce319

The broadband cable does play a big role in speed, but you also need to consider the video card and processor. They need to process the data so it can get displayed to you.

3. dmcd

dmcd Thread Starter

My computer is only 2 years old - I have an Athlon processor and a video card - maybe they are now too slow? thanks for your reply

4. RSM123

RSM123

dmcd,

You might try a bit of housekeeping on your pc in case that helps to speed things up a little for you ..

Try Scandisk and Defrag if you have not done that in the last week or so. Also its often best to try running both from Safe Mode :

http://www.laplink.com/support/kb/article.asp?ID=102

That way nothing will be running in the background that will cause them to keep restarting mid way through.

Also try clearing out your Temp Internet Files - in IE go Tools > Options > Click 'Clear Files. Also unless you need it try 'Clear History.

And possibly keep the time period for storing web pages at a low level than at present. I think the default in IE is to store your History for 6 weeks - I have mine set to zero days and Temp Int Files to 5mb.

Also you might consider giving your system the once over with Spybot Search & Destroy to clear out any spyware, get Spybot from here :

http://security.kolla.de/

Download Install > Run > click Online > Search for and Get all updates.

Close IE > In Spybot click Search for problems > Let it scan > then click Fix all checked.

The above might make difference it might not - it really depends on your present settings and the state of your system.

Though hold off on upgrading for now :)

RSM.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!