1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

web cam woes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by marthasdaughter, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marthasdaughter

marthasdaughter Thread Starter

My computer has suddenly stopped recognizing my web cam. I cannot use youcam or skype video, because it says I have to plug a camera in. When I first got the computer, the webcam worked just fine. I read somewhere that some of the windows updates can cause the computer not to recognize the webcam, but I can't seem to fix it.

I've even backup up my files and restored the factory settings, but still can't find any way to activate the web cam. Help?

2. adam3088

adam3088

Can you try the camera in another computer to check it's not failed?

3. marthasdaughter

I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that it's the built-in web cam that is part of the laptop. It does not even appear to be in the computer anymore. I had used it several times, and have no idea when it disappeared. I've read that this has happened to other people, that it was perhaps a flaw in Windows updates...but I haven't found a fix.

To make matters worse, I did a backup/recovery on my laptop so I could go back to the factory settings...not only did it NOT fix the problem (still no webcam found) - but HP recovery saved the files in such a way (.fbw) that I can't retrieve them from my external hard drive.

So now I not only don't have a webcam, I've lost all of my pictures, music, documents, etc. because they were saved in a format that I can't reopen.

4. adam3088

adam3088

Grabbed from another site:

"The .FBW file format is used by the HP system recovery backup utility to create backups of user data.

Once the backup is complete, your selected data is stored within the .FBW files and should now be accompanied by an executable file (.exe) which is ran to activate the restore process.

The .FBW file name structure is normally 'backup.xxx.fbw', where xxx is the sequence number of the backup file. "

That should let you get your files back.

As for the webcam, right click 'my computer' and click on device manager, does the webcam appear on the list?

5. marthasdaughter

I was able to take the external hard drive with the fbw file to another computer and the recovery worked on that - apparently there's some flaw with my model laptop with vista that doesn't run it. So I just pulled the files back onto my external hard drive once it had put all the recovery files into the other desk top.

My webcam - no it does not appear under device manager. I have used it in the past, so I am completely in the dark about why it disappeared completely from my computer. If I do a search for webcam, then Youcam comes up - but when youcam opens up, a warning pops up that says "no video device detected".

Now I have another problem that is probably simpler to solve...I had to download the driver for a usb port I use to do online shows. Before I backed up the computer, then when I used this driver I would click on "disable" for my other sound devices and they would just be unchecked. This time, when I clicked "disable" they disappeared! So under device manager I can still see Realtek is there and the driver is up to date, but I have no sound on the computer because it doesn't turn up in the box where recording and playback devices are listed. They are totally blank now unless I plug in my yamaha usb port.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029028

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice