1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Web Components Problem (access)

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by PacerFan1, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PacerFan1

PacerFan1 Thread Starter

I am working on a databas with Microsoft Access. Up until now I have been using my work computer (Windows XP, Microsoft Office 2003). I just transferred the files over to my laptop which is also Windows XP. Also, I just got Microsoft Office 2003 on my laptop as well. When I tried testing if the database was okay on my laptop, most of it worked out after changing some file paths/locations. But now I have one problem. It appears that I cannot open any Data Access pages (right under forms). It says "Microsoft Office Web Components could not open the database C:\Documents and Settings\..... So I tried to get the necessary updates on my computer so the file would function properly since I just got Microsoft Office (which I believe does not include any of the updates/patches). I am a bit confused about which upgrades I am supposed to be getting. I tried a few combinations. First of all, for the web components to work I need to get the most recent service pack. My first question: Am I supposed to get the service pack for Office XP or 2003? XP (Service pack 3) said "the expected version was not found your system." But then I tried Office 2003 Service Pack 2 but it said the update had already been applied/included in an update already applied. So I moved on to the Web Components. I tried Office XP web components. It seemed to install fine but did not fix the problem. Then I tried Office 2003 Web Components but then I got "Microsoft Office 2003 English Web Parts and Components requires Windows Server 2003 to install. Please download the most recent service pack from microsoft.com prior to installing."

Sorry for the long read. Any help would be greatly appreiciated. Thank you for your time.

2. PacerFan1

PacerFan1 Thread Starter

Can anyone help me out?

3. PacerFan1

PacerFan1 Thread Starter

well i went to microsoft's website and downloaded/installed the latest updates for office 2003. Thought it might fix the problem, but i still get the same thing ...

4. OBP

OBP Temporarily Banned

Pacerfan1, is the database and your version of Access at the same level?
    If the Database was created in Access 2000 then Access 2003 does not have any trouble "reading" it but I think I read somewhere that it can't handle the Data Access Pages as they are written differently.
    If it is an Access 2000 database and you are now using Access 2002/2003 I suggest that you try "Converting" the database to 2002/2003 level.

5. PacerFan1

PacerFan1 Thread Starter

Yes they are the same version, created on the same version. Both at my work and on my laptop its Access 2003. Am I missing an update/plugin?

6. Rockn

Rockn

Are there any messages or security warnings when trying to run the Data Access Pages?

7. PacerFan1

PacerFan1 Thread Starter

Yes, when I try to open the Data Access Page, it says "Microsoft Office Web Components could not open the database C:\Documents and Settings\..."

8. Rockn

Rockn

9. PacerFan1

PacerFan1 Thread Starter

Thanks Rockn but that didnt work. I tried it. But I think that is just for viewing it on a browser? I need the page to open up in access which it doesnt let you do after doing that.

I did just notice at the top of access after the name of the file it says "Access 2000 File Format". Im guessing this has to do with my problem?? Sry I didnt mention it before. I didntnk think it would be 2000 acesss file because I made it on Access 2003.

10. PacerFan1

PacerFan1 Thread Starter

I FIXED IT!!!! Thanks for your efforts to all the guys that posted in this topic. I appreciate it. Heres how i did it .... I opened up the erroneous (sp?) access page. Then I clicked View > HTML Source, opening up Microsoft Script Editor. Then I simply found the old path of the file from my work computer (via edit > find) in the VB code and changed it to the path on my laptop. That did the trick! :D

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487224

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice