1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Web Connection and SP2

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Dutyman, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dutyman

Dutyman Thread Starter

This happened directly after I installed SP2.

I have both a broadband always-on connection via network and a dial-up connection, the latter being only switched on when I specifically ask for it. Now, although I'm connected to broadband my system keeps trying to connect to the dial-up even though I've disabled it - every 2 to 3 minutes.

How can I stop it?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    So you have set it to Never Dial Connection in Internet Explorer under the Connections Tab and it still does it?

3. Dutyman

Dutyman Thread Starter

Setting no-dial was the first thing I did. Then I disabled the modem through device manager. That still didn't work.

It seems that everytime I connect to a different page/site on the web, the system wants to dial-up and ignore the broadband connection.

I've just got to keep cancelling it which is a pain in the proverbial.

4. Whitestar

Whitestar

Just a quick question. Why have you got broadband and a dial up?

The only thing i can think of is that you need to remove the dial up from the connections tab in ie properties, or completly remove the dial up software.

5. Dutyman

Dutyman Thread Starter

I've still got an old email account from my dial-up days which is not accessible via broadband. I check this from time to time in case someone still doesn't have my updated address.

You may be right in my needing to de-install the account, but why did it work pre SP2, but not now ?

6. Whitestar

Whitestar

Unfortunatly i havnt worked out everything that sp2 does yet, so i cant give you an answer to that.

The only thing i can suggest is to reinstall the dial up software and see if that works, or just stop using the dial up altogether.

7. Dutyman

Dutyman Thread Starter

De-installed - problem stopped. I might try re-installing when I feel strong enough!

Another odd consequence of SP2 has been to kill my auto update, but that's up for discussion with Microsoft Technical.

Thanks for the input.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You should still be able to recieve email from the Dial-up's Email account, you will however not be able to Send email with the account.

The dial-up connection could have been brought up by many things; such as LiveUpdate - which you can specify a connection to use seperate from the defualt Windows connection. Many other programs have similar options that have Online features to them.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276536

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice