1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Web Content Filtering

Discussion in 'Networking' started by James Crosso, Feb 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. James Crosso

James Crosso Thread Starter

Thanks in advance for giving my post your consideration,

I am currently in search of web-content filtering solutions. I am very satisfied with openDNS and how it works on my LAN and Wireless Network. That being said, we live in an apartment building, and openDNS can be easily skirted by connecting to one of the numerous unsecured WiFi networks within range.

I have researched ways to prohibit connection to unsecured Wireless Networks, but I realize that may post a problem or me if I am traveling or need to get online at a hotspot. What I am really looking for is a way to either apply openDNS to the individual laptop (MacBook) in addition to the network, in hopes of maintaining the filtering of openDNS no matter what network I'm on.

Is this possible? Alternatively, is there a solution that offers what I'm looking for but doesn't use openDNS?

Thanks,

James

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    There are plenty of web filter programs that can be installed.
    K9 web protection might be an option, it says it works for a Macintosh.
    Or a bit of googling would turn up plenty of alternatives, such as this page.
    I can't recommend any individual solution, mostly because I don't have a mac.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  4. James Crosso

James Crosso Thread Starter

I'musing K9. Thanks for your help!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/981521

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice