1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Web Design Basics

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by Beni_143, Jan 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Beni_143

Beni_143 Thread Starter

Hi, I am a beginner for web designing. I created a website and now i want to add a page for chat purposes in it. I am taking help from here:
    http://code.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-create-a-simple-web-based-chat-application--net-5931

my problem is that, even i know basics of html and javascript, but this website uses PHP and jQuery. I want to know how to join up everything that is mentioned in the site and make a page for chat.

Any help is appreciated. Even if you tell me about how we deal with PHP and jQuery in web design, that will help a lot.

:)

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    Very differently.
    jQuery is javascript. I assume you already know how to use functions and things in javascript.
    jQuery is just a big collection (called a library) of javascript functions that do commonly useful things (like sending data to a server or creating draggable elements on a page).
    To use it, you load the jquery library using a regular <script> tag. You can then use jquery code in other script tags exactly as you would use regular javascript code.

PHP is a different language, and php runs on a server. Whereas a html document basically is what the server sends to the browser, a php script tells the server how to make what to send to the client. Often a php script looks a lot like a html file in its contents, and then it has a weird bit of code saying to put something at a certain point which is customized for the user.
    If you have a server and it supports php, then if you call for the php file the server will run it and send the result to the browser. If you just double click a php file in windows, however, because there's no server to run it, you'll get weird code appearing.
    If you don't have a server, you can run one on your computer for testing using WAMP.

3. abisky

abisky

Thanks for the great explanation Josiah! I want to learn a bit of web programming myself and already tried to learn it once in the past, but never really got beyond a bit of HTML and CSS. At the moment I'm building a very simple site using a website builder but I might still create some modifications at a later point. Your explanation on the difference between PHP and HTML was really concise and clear. Although I don't think I'll be learning PHP anytime soon, it's always nice to grasp the basic concept

4. JiminSA

JiminSA

First Name:
    Jim
    Couldn't agree more(y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!