1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Web Design / True Type Fonts

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by mark4man, Dec 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mark4man

mark4man Thread Starter

In creating my own site (utilizing MS Publisher 2000), the site looks perfect on my own browser, I.E. (of course), but other visitors to the site inform me that the text is substituted (in Netscape Navigator & AOL.) I understand the necessity of using True Type Fonts, but am trying to understand the break in compatibility. Aren´t fonts installed by the OS or various programs?; & if the user is running Win95 or later, shouldn´t any standard browser display fonts installed on the machine on which it is running? Why are those basic 11 fonts making up the industry standard; & is there any way around this dilemma (besides designing with .gifs & increasing download time)?

BTW-To try & get to the answer myself, I downloaded Netscape Navigator & previewed the site. It looked fine (basically the same as in Internet Explorer.) So the question remains, does it display correctly due to the fonts installed on my machine?

Thanks for the help.

mw4man
    http://www.moonjams.com

2. Rockn

Rockn

That would be correct!! Your customers have to have the same font installed on their PC in order to see any font you designate in your code.

3. jbcalg

jbcalg

one way to minimize the text substitution is to provide your own substitues so the viewer's browser won't have the choice

ie look at the source code from this page (right click, view source), it uses a font family

FONT-FAMILY: Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif

so that the viewer will see one of those fonts, only if their system has none of those, will it substitute it's own

even though you use MS Pub to create your websites, you can still edit the html code using notepad

4. Mithrilhall

Mithrilhall

Another possible solution would be to embed the fonts. You can download tools that will help you do this. The only problem you may come into contact with is cross-browser compatibility.

Micro$oft's tool is called WEFT (Web Embedding Font Tool)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62124

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice