1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Web host message - can't understand

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by Archie844, Aug 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Archie844

Archie844 Thread Starter

Hi guys, new here. I've been using tripod.lycos for a voluntary church group website for 18 years and purchase a domain name from LCN for the same period. Suddenly a message appears preventing me and any visitors accessing and of it. LCN say it's not them as they are just Web forwarding it's tripod lycos. My problem is that the latter are less than impossible to contact and there's so much to lose for what may be a really simple fix. I have complete access to the site builder but am flummoxed as to what they want.... I cant attach a screenshot so it may help but the url so people can see is . Index.html - what does that even mean? http://archie844.tripod.com/liverpoolprovinceorangelodge/

2. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    There needs to be a file on this webspace called index.html (all in lowercase) this file is not present and so the home page cannot be displayed.

3. Archie844

Archie844 Thread Starter

Thanks colin. Would you know how to do that? What's confusing me is I've had the site 18 years and never had this message. I have a page on the site builder and the home page has index.html at the side of it. I'm looking at something that looks correct but evidently isn't

4. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    I would suggest that you copy and paste all the code from your existing index.html file in to Notepad ore even better Notepad++ and re-upload it to your webspace as index.html AFTER renaming the existing file to index.old. You can always upload the code here for us to take a look at in case something is off with it BUT I doubt that is the case. I suspect that something is off with the naming of your existing file.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214945

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice