1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Web Hosting & Domain Names

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by moorsey38, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moorsey38

moorsey38 Thread Starter

Hello,
    I'm experiencing probloms with "web domains & Web hosting".
    Of what I understand web hosting is a directery for an example .tk but alot more well known, Web hosting to my understandings is a program which uploads files from your computer into the web.

I'm wanting to make a site, The site is planned out but has not yet been created.
    I have the software to create the site (Frontpage), I have one problom, I want to know if I need web hosting to create a site or would it be possible to just buy a domain name..
    Thank you for reading my problom hopefully you'll understand and reply,
    Thanks again..
    Moorsey38

2. juparis

juparis

Here's what I believe to be true (I'm no pro at all this):

Web Hosts HOST your website. AKA, they take it from your home computer and service it onto the internet. Web Domains (.tk, as you said) are just names to put onto your already-hosted website. To create an online website, you will need a web host, or go through all the trouble of creating your own server (so that you become your own host--I don't know anything about this though).

If you're just beginning, I wouldn't even look at making your own server--just find a decent web host that suites you and your needs. You can search plenty of host at http://www.clickherefree.com/ or search free hosts (for most beginners) at http://www.clickherefree.com/hosting-free/

Hope this helps!

3. cnelson04

cnelson04

Hey, ok here's the thing. Most web host witch is where your website will be, will give you some kind of subdomian witch is somthing like www.subdomian.thehostyouuse.com now if you have somthing like that you can then buy a .com, .net, ect..And change www.subdomian.thehostyouuse.com to the domian you buy. But if you use a free host like me, somtimes you can't not use the domian with that host.. i use .tk domians my two that i have are.. www.rct2bz.tk and www.counterthugz.tk and all they do is redierit to your site..witch sometimes can make the load tiem slower.. :( not good.. So in other words you do not need a domian to have a website. :) Hope that helps. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!