1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Web Items on Active Desktop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DesktopComponent, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DesktopComponent

DesktopComponent Thread Starter

Hi all, I am trying to figure out how to add changing content to my background. I decided to use the Web option in the customize desktop area of the display settings. I made two test attempts trying different things out to see if it would do what I wanted. I had no trouble and so I went ahead and made my image. Now when I went to add the actual image in it let me, but wouldn't save the changes after I logged off. It works fine while I am still logged in, but as soon as I log off my changes are gone. So I thought that maybe there was a limit on how many items I could have in the list at any given time. I had no need for my test objects, so I deleted them from the display control panel. Now for the surprise - Those changes don't save either. After I log off the test objects are restored. I now thought that maybe it was some kind of safety feature so you don't remove it by mistake. I went through and found where the registry keys for it were located and deleted all of them. This only effected my current session - After I logged off, the test ones are put back and my actual one is removed, from both the control panel and the registry.

So my question is how can I remove the test ones (Not that big of a deal if they can't be removed) and add my new one in (This is the big issue)

Info:
    Dell Inspiron 6000
    Windows XP Pro SP2
    To get to the Web section of the display control panel: Bring up the display screen, click on desktop, click on customize desktop (Button at bottom), and click on web (Tab at the top)
    To get to the registry entry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Microsoft>Internet Explorer>Desktop>Components># (# is a number starting at 0 and working up to how ever many entries you have)

I have done quite a bit of searching without any relevant information. Thank you for your help in this matter.

I am trying to add a partly transparent animated gif file in the corner of my desktop screen.

2. DesktopComponent

DesktopComponent Thread Starter

Does anyone have any thoughts on this that might help?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753652

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice