Web links breaking

elsb

Hi - i
A defrag will sort out the sectors on the hard drive and the disk clean will remove temp files, etc,
But to sort out the system files - you really need to run system file checker [sfc /scannow] and for that you will need to use the install CD.
OK. I still have to look around for the XP disc. So, could these websites re-loading have anything to do with my ISP? I have Frontier. Thanks.

blues_harp28

My computer was custom made by someone. So I don't have a make and model #.
When was this pc built - in other words, how old is it?
Do you use other pc's, tablets, phones, through your Frontier ISP?

elsb

When was this pc built - in other words, how old is it?
Do you use other pc's, tablets, phones, through your Frontier ISP?
Hi - I am not sure how old it is. I do have a tablet, WIN 7 computer and a WIN 8 laptop. I use the tablet more than the WIN 7 and WIN 8. Just wondered if the issue could be a connection issue?

blues_harp28

You could check Event Viewer to see if it points to any errors.
Start > Run > Type [or copy and paste]
eventvwr.msc
Press Enter.
Under Application - in Event Viewer
Look for Errors [not Information or Warnings]
Right click on the Error > Properties.
Click the Double Notepad icon to copy the Error.
Then paste them here
Or download My Event Viewer
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/my_event_viewer.html
Download link at the bottom of the page.
======
Right click My Computer > Open
Right click - Local disk - should be C:
Click Properties.
Tools > Error checking.
Tick both boxes
Click start.
It will say it cannot scan, do you want it to scan at the next start up..
Click Yes - restart Pc.

Last edited:

elsb

You could check Event Viewer to see if it points to any errors.
Start > Run > Type [or copy and paste]
eventvwr.msc
Press Enter.
Under Application - in Event Viewer
Look for Errors [not Information or Warnings]
Right click on the Error > Properties.
Click the Double Notepad icon to copy the Error.
Then paste them here
Or download My Event Viewer
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/my_event_viewer.html
Download link at the bottom of the page.
======
Right click My Computer > Open
Right click - Local disk - should be C:
Click Properties.
Tools > Error checking.
Tick both boxes
Click start.
It will say it cannot scan, do you want it to scan at the next start up..
Click Yes - restart Pc.
So, I can do one or the other that you listed above. I think I'll do My Computer. Also, it seems to do the website link breaking more on Chrome. Not sure if that has any significance.

elsb

Do both of them - then report back to us.
Hi - I did the first one yesterday and there are a ton of errors so I x'd out of it. It's why I opted to do the 2nd choice. But have not yet restarted the computer.

blues_harp28

Errors found by Event Viewer from the moment you turn on your pc, may be corrected at start up, or the pc moves on and it starts with little or no problem.
That said, it is useful in trying to locate a problem the pc may be having and in tracking down a problem.

Restart your pc and let us know if using error checking on the C: drive has helped.

elsb

Errors found by Event Viewer from the moment you turn on your pc, may be corrected at start up, or the pc moves on and it starts with little or no problem.
That said, it is useful in trying to locate a problem the pc may be having and in tracking down a problem.

Restart your pc and let us know if using error checking on the C: drive has helped.
Hi - I restarted the PC this morning. At first everything was locked up. I couldn't open any of the icons on my desktop. So-restarted it again, and now it's working. I'll report back on how well it's working in a few days. Thank you!!

plodr

Liz
You are using a version of Windows that hasn't been updated since April 8, 2014.
You are using a browser that hasn't been patched since April 14, 2016.

Just because you have used it for years doesn't make it safe to go on the internet.

Please consider a safer way to go on the internet.

We have two XP computers in our home. We use both of them but NOT on the internet and they are not networked to our other computers.

elsb

So, I am in touch with Frontier who we have our internet through to see if they can shed any light on this. The links do not seem to be breaking as much since they told me to unplug the router from the wall for 15 minutes, and plug it back in. But there are still lagging issues in loading. Sometimes everything just stops in it's tracks for a brief period. And now I am having issues getting Facebook to work. The website comes up, but the newsfeed, my account info and messenger does not load. Been trying to troubleshoot that too. Gees :)

elsb

You are using a version of Windows that hasn't been updated since April 8, 2014.
You are using a browser that hasn't been patched since April 14, 2016.

Just because you have used it for years doesn't make it safe to go on the internet.

Please consider a safer way to go on the internet.

We have two XP computers in our home. We use both of them but NOT on the internet and they are not networked to our other computers.
Thanks for the info!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online