1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Web page buttons not showing in IE. Firefox & Chrome OK

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by alan.surry, Nov 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alan.surry

alan.surry Thread Starter

We have a basic website promoting our holiday home which I put together using Microsoft Publisher 2003 about 4 years ago. (The url is www.bagabeach.co.uk) The problem is that in the last few months, the site won't load properly in Internet Explorer. even though it still loads fine in Firefox & Chrome. The main homepage is there, but the buttons linking to the other pages have disappeared. I run a small I.T. business, so I'm fairly technically savvy, though web design is not really my forte, as you will see from the site.

Any suggestions, short of reworking the whole site would be gratefully appreciated.

Alan Surry.

2. geek-assist

geek-assist

Hm..This is strange, it loaded properly once, tried it again, and the buttons disappeared...

3. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    You won't want to hear this but the code is horrible and the best way to get it working with modern browsers is to re-write it.

Also from a personal point of view lose the music or at least allow the visitor to turn it off / on.

4. alan.surry

alan.surry Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. Someone else looked at the site & said the same sort of thing. " The code is rubbish". Not knowing HTML, I built with Publisher 2003, so I blame Microsoft for any failings on the coding. I've long since learned not to rely on their products if you want a good job doing, so if it needs to be rewritten, then can anyone recommend a web design program that is easy to use and won't cost a fortune?

Also, if I copy & paste the text from the existing site to the new one as I'm rebuilding it, will any "horrible code" get copied?

Lastly. Yes, I thought the music was a good idea, but I get your drift, it can be a bit much!

5. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    If you copy and paste the text then that will be fine BUT whatever you do don't copy the html code.

In some respects it is easier to use just a plain text editor. the free Notepad++. If you want WYSIWYG Dreamweaver is the Rolls Royce BUT very expensive and overkill for what you need, some people like the free Komposer but I am not a fan you can also have a look at the free Microsoft programme Web Developer Express which does produce proper code but again some people don't like it.

Come back if you have any specific problems.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028406

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice