1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Web Page With Frames

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by FedExGuy, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FedExGuy

FedExGuy Thread Starter

I am working on a web page and I have it designed with 4 frames. The top is merely a header. The left frame lists images with links to items for purchase, the main area contains text. The bottom frame contains my nav buttons. When any of the links are clicked on the left frame, the link opens in the main frame. How do I set the coding to make those links open in a new page/tab? When any of the nav buttons are clicked the pages they're linked to open in the left frame. Again, how do I set the coding to make a click of a nav button make the entire page reload to the target rather than inside one of the frames?

The code below is the coding from the page(I wasn't sure if I left the coding as is it would create the html rather than list, but obviously on my page the "!--" are not part of the file):
    <!--html -->

<head>
    <meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 5.0">
    <meta name="ProgId" content="FrontPage.Editor.Document">
    <title>Tribute</title>
    </head>

<frameset rows="64,*,162">
    <frame name="top" scrolling="no" noresize target="contents" src="tributeheader.htm">
    <frameset cols="150,*">
    <frame name="contents" target="main" src="wishlistpics.htm">
    <frame name="main" src="AddressBody.htm" target="_self">

</frameset>
    <frame name="bottom" scrolling="no" noresize target="contents" src="navbuttonlink.htm">
    <noframes>
    <body>

<p>This page uses frames, but your browser doesn't support them.</p>

</body>
    </noframes>
    </frameset>

<!--/html -->

I don't know if you'll need the coding from each frame within the page but I could post all of it if it's helpful.

Thank you!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  3. Mudley

Mudley

please, for the love of the internet, don't use frames :)

is this for internal use only? :D
    why frames?

4. FedExGuy

FedExGuy Thread Starter

seriously, why not frames?
    no, it's a commercial page. I have been contemplating redesigning the page anyway.

5. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

Using HTML frames is an arguably outdated method of designing web pages. You can accomplish the same functionality frames offer with CSS and not have the bookmarking issues frames introduce.

Personally, I'm not opposed to the use of HTML frames but I would certainly advocate the use of CSS over HTML frames when asked.

Peace...

6. Nnahrino

Nnahrino

I'd have to concur with the other responses, a few years ago everyone thought frames were going to take over the web but they haven't as they bring with it problems (especially if poorly designed).

In my opinion, if you want sections on the page just do it with tables. You can use templating to incorporate the same navigation file into a table (giving a similar effect to frames).

7. Mudley

Mudley

frames prevent or cause serious problems with:
    1. bookmarking (because the url bookmarked doesn't contain data of internal frames)
    2. search engines (because you don't want search traffic going to inside pages because they won't have navigation, and crawlers only have the URL data in problem #1)
    3. incoming links (if your site rocks, or has any value to anyone, people will want to link to it - but they're not always going to link to your homepage. they'll want to link to their most important or favorite...but due to the issue #1, that page doesn't have a unique url) This also adds to problem #2, because search engines rely on incoming links to gauge popularity.

there's no real benefit to frames, but i know what the typical arguments are.
    1. keeps the navigation on the page. (true, but mice have scrollwheels and we've ALL been trained that scrolling makes the web page move up and down. We KNOW that if we can't see the navigation that we need to scroll back up. Hint: put a smaller navigation at the bottom. Bonus hint: don't let your pages get more than a couple full scrolls in height)
    2. pages load faster because the header/navigation is already loaded. Technically this is true, but the header, its graphics and styles will all be cached anyways. So loading it on every page isn't much overhead. Headers and navs should be lightweight with text based navigations anyway (for seo)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703718

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice