1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

web page

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by mls1282, Jan 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mls1282

mls1282 Thread Starter

Hello,
    A friend of mine has a major problem. She cannot access any websites whatsoever...This problem has been going on for about a week now. She can use AOL to browse and she can use programs like MSN messenger or Morpheus, but she can't use her browsers (Navigator and IE). Please help ASAP!!

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

If you're using AOHell that's the problem. I recommend getting a local ISP and quitting the AOL minority. Most people use IE and Netscape 130-1 in the USA.

Ok short of that, you must have the newest AOL version, at least 6.0, then minimise AOL after getting on-line with it (saying getting on-line with AOL is laughable a best) then start IE or NS. AOL must be on the taskbar, desktop clear, but on-line with AOL. Ok?

You can tell I know how to use it, just hate the thing.

That's how you do it, minimize the latest version of AOL then start another browser.

Get the free firewall immediately:

Update your antivirus, temporarily disable your screen saver (choose None) and scan with your anti-virus set to scan All Files. Update and scan bi-monthly. Create your anti-virus' Rescue disk(s) and update them after each Windows anti-virus update.

You can scan on-line to double-check your Windows scanner at http://housecall.antivirus.com

Get free Zone Alarm personal firewall anti-hacker countermeasure from http://www.zonelabs.com. (not the demo) Don't let anything out to the Internet you don't know what it is.

3. mls1282

mls1282 Thread Starter

My friend isn't using AOL at this time now because she is connected to a LAN. She didn't have to use AOL to get on before...She could just turn on the computer and then open her browser. Are there any other ways I can resolve this problem?

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

There is a rather long list of troubleshooting steps outlined in the link below. One of the most common causes of the problem you describe involves the winsock2 registry key which can be altered by 3rd party programs and can result in loss if connectivity if the program is improperly removed.

Review all the steps, but pay special attention to 13 which involves deleting those keys in the registry and then restoring them by removing and reinstalling Dial up Networking and TCP/IP

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q241344

Hopefully the individual can download and print out this article.

5. mls1282

mls1282 Thread Starter

OK,

The troubleshooter did not work...Most of the directions I tried to follow did not apply to her computer because all her settings and files were in the correct place and number. Are there any other alternatives? I am really frustrated now and it isn't even my computer!!

6. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Have you uninstalled AOL?

Uninstall it.

AOL, has a bad habit of overwriting system files with thier own version.

The best thing to do, is to uninstall aol, uninstall dialup networking, then reinstall Dialup networking. This sometimes fixes those problems.

I have seen it trash a system so bad, especially with windows 95, but also with 98, that it was easiest to reinstall the operating system and all the programs.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65085

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice