1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Web problem - quite techy to do with domain names

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by richrockster, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrockster

richrockster Thread Starter

Hi,

Had to re-register as I'd lost my details, and the email account had been closed so no point getting the new password email.

I'm in a bit of a pickle - a client of mine wishes to change the name of their website, complete with a new TLD. so it would be (example) mysite.com changing to mysite.info

So far so good. However, we want to ensure that email is 'backed up' when the transfer occurs. So we've looked at using an alternative hosting to get the email, but will need to change MX records to go from mail.example.com to mail.example.info - a colleague said this could take weeks.

2 questions then :

Can we point the MX record to another server, and will we lose their email in the transfer?

Can email be sent to 2 domains using different IP addresses?

Any help well appreciated, I only know simple stuff on this. :eek:

And apologies if this is in the wrong section, couldn't find a domain/hosting/intertubes config forum... :confused:

2. IT-Support

IT-Support

In the secondary MX record put the current primary MX record, then put the new MX record in the primary one. This will ensure that if something goes wrong on the primary server and its not contactable all the mail will be delivered to the secondary.

Other point is that MX records very rarely take longer than 30 mins to update. Last time i did it, i was live in 2 mins.

3. richrockster

richrockster Thread Starter

Thanks,

however - if I have mail coming in to [email protected] will it then translate to [email protected]? I ask this as it is pretty essential for these guys not to lose email at all.

Rich

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915075

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice