1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

web publishing

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by bmsgirl986, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bmsgirl986

bmsgirl986 Thread Starter

I just created a webpage using web plus and uploaded it. I bought a domain name through aplus.net and when i upload my page everything besides my photo files show up. The tech guy at aplus told me that there might be missing links in my webpage, there was and i fixed them but i just tried to re upload it and it is still doing the same thing. My url is brookestarusnak.com. Do you have any idea what it could be?

2. JosephTCSS

JosephTCSS

Yeah.... one problem is Serif WebPlus... love....... if you want to stand out in the Graphic Design game get with the industry standard solutions like Dreamweaver, Visual Studio, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc.

LEARN HTML and Java, Web 2.0, Ajax, Visual basic and C#, all .NET frameworks or more....

Your problem with images are more than likely bad links..... OR the photos/images haven't been uploaded to the directory you specified in the code.

Don't use WebPlus. There are a ton of better choices out there.

3. olddirtret

olddirtret

bmsgirl986 I think your on the right track but I believe some research might be needed. Your web host has a wealth of information in their knowledgebase. http://www.apluskb.com/scripts/category_1pp123.html

All the programs that JosephTCSS mentioned are good, but you could go broke buying all of them. Get a plan for what you want to do, start slow and build up your knowledge as you go. Look at what other people are doing in your field and see what works.

Learning HTML would be a big plus.

You can even look at some open source CMS programs ( your web host supports them) to help you create your web site. Most of them are PHP and MySql. Examples: Drupal, Joomla, Wordpress..

BTW- I see your links to the photos and images at the bottom of the front page on your web site.

4. Eriksrocks

Eriksrocks

As far as I can tell all images are showing up for me. :)

I would also second Joseph's suggestion to get Dreamweaver. It's very pricey, but it's worth it if you're serious about web design. If you're looking for a free alternative, try Kompozer. :)

5. caraewilton

caraewilton

Personally I would be offended by anybody who called me "love" and discard any advice they might give!

6. JosephTCSS

JosephTCSS

Thats ashame. Quite a contradiction to your signature. So, I would assume asking you why you would be offended by someone calling you love would be a bad choice.

From your profile it appears you are a teacher. It's a shame to think you would be so obtuse and suggest on discard advice from a person who has over a decade of experience in graphic design. Typically, teachers rely on industry professionals to expand existing curricula, establish guidelines, and tailor the semesters' syllabus to include the best practices of the subject matter.

In my intermediate family there are some very well respected professors, teachers, and general educators who would all agree your comments are un-founded.

Furthermore, while I will personally admit I could have delivered a reply in a more helpful and encouraging manner, the intent was and still remains to re-inforce the need for learning the basic foundations.

As olddirtret stated and as I intended with my comment "Don't use WebPlus. There are a ton of better choices out there." ...There are a pleathora of FREE resources available.

If you are truly an educator I suggest you act like one.

While it may not matter to CareaWilton or anyone else for that matter..... I call every woman Love because there is nothing more deserving than a woman. They are the toughest creatures, yet the most gentle. They are the best friends to many and the strongest defenders. Woman have more potential than men on so many levels....more patience....more understanding.....more talent.....and a larger capcity to learn and teach. I Love women.... and personally I would be offended by a mislead woman who would suggest another woman not take advice from someone who called them love. in essence that woman is telling another to settle on just getting by, or taking a shortcut rather than putting in the work to know it better than thier male counterpart(s). Very Very Very BAD advice..... especially considering the potential and capacity every woman has to grab life and follow thier desire. So love, I mean CareaWilton, I sincerely hope that you take the time today to re-evaluate your tact and dispostion. You offered no useful advice to bmsgirl986.

BMSGIRL986.... please do what you wish with your work. However my advice to you is never settle. Play harder, live larger, and dominate in everything you do. It's more rewarding to you in the long run knowing you worked for it and you can never trade the feeling of accomplishment.

Regards,
    Mr. Joseph Licari

7. Eriksrocks

Eriksrocks

Ooookkkk.... :D

8. JosephTCSS

JosephTCSS

Was I too honest....

9. Eriksrocks

Eriksrocks

Perhaps...

10. southernlady

southernlady

While those are all VERY good programs, anyone who is a coder will tell you the BEST coder is one who can code in NOTEPAD! Just read the help wanted ads. Even the best coders who are required to know dreamweaver are also expected to know how to code by hand.

If you don't use Dreamweaver, you must not be a serious web designer. However, most of us cut our teeth on Notepad and truly prefer to see what is under the hood of our code. Dreamweaver just helps but there are MANY excellent FREE programs that can do exactly the same...give you the tools you need without messing your code up.

I truly want to understand why the entire world seems to love adobe photoshop? What is it about that program that paying THRU your nose is truly worth it? If people did NOT get it from their employer or from their school, how many would really be using it?

I have seen some extremely talented artists using many other programs but because it isn't adobe, it's not considered REAL graphics. I am a tuber with Paint Shop Pro, I do EXCELLENT graphics work, but the world ignores that because it's NOT made with adobe cs...that magical program.

Are we all like sheep, following the most expensive, hyped up programs just because it's what EVERYONE else uses?

Yes, I HAVE dreamweaver but I do not code in dreamweaver.

And calling someone "love" who you do NOT know personally is an insult. You owe her an apology.

Liz

11. Eriksrocks

Eriksrocks

Dreamweaver helps with graphic design and visual managment, not to mention it has tools that can help you write code faster and more accurately. (e.g. code hinting, script debugging/tracking, support for XML/HTML data sets.) It makes designing sites much more efficient for a coder and much easier for a visual designer (you can layout items visually and go back and forth from Photoshop to Dreamweaver.)
    Because it's a great program! Yes, it's not worth the price if you're a consumer or small-time web designer. Most of us who use it do not get it by paying for it with our own money, as you mentioned. But for professional web or graphic designer's it's the ultimate tool. They can afford the huge cost because they'll rake in that same amount of money in just one or two projects. Just because it's expensive does not make it bad. It's an powerful program that is just overpriced.
    That's not what I think. I don't care what it was made with - if it wasn't made with Photoshop I'm not going to say, "Oh, that's not real art or graphic design." If it looks good, it's real to me. It's just that Photoshop is the popular choice so that's what people think of when they think of web or graphic design. :)
    Just because it's "the" program to have for this type of stuff doesn't mean it sucks. Why do you think people use it in the first place? Because it's great! :D

12. southernlady

southernlady

Dreamweaver also adds unnecessary code. Can Photoshop do vectors naturally or is that another program in adobe's arsenal? It's part of PSP.

Also did you know that PSP will save in PSD files IN layers? Is adobe as accommodating? NO, and you know why I know, I checked. I have adobe but I don't use it. Photoshop doesn't even know what the psp/pspimage/psptube extensions are. Much less save in them. But Paint Shop Pro will save in psd in layers and turn around and also open psd files and read them in layers.

Before saying adobe photoshop is the best, let me ask you, Eriksrocks, have you ever used PSP, any version?

For graphics, I have used adobe, xara, CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X3, Ulead (which is now part of Corel but wasn't back when I used it), GIMP, Paint.net, and versions 7,8,9, X and X2 of Paint Shop Pro. Btw, I teach Paint Shop Pro. I still have most of those on my computer right now. Xara and version 7,8 of PSP are the only ones missing.

Maybe you see the need to spend thousands of dollars on a program but when a program that is free or cost less than $100 does the same thing (and yes, PSP does everything photoshop does, just differently and more user friendly).

Not all of us have accommodating employers that allow us to take our graphic editors home with us and put it on our home computers. Or allows us to work on our personal projects at work, so we have to find lower cost alternatives.

And then there are those of us who do not work and haven't seen the inside of a school in decades.

Liz

13. JosephTCSS

JosephTCSS

I'm sorry you feel that way LOVE.... :) lighten up. You do know good attitudes are contagious right?

All things considered, I do agree one should not refer to themselves as a "Professional Web Developer" unless they can pound out some html in notepad. (BTW Notepad2 is awesome!)

In regards to the PSP vs. Photoshop..... comn' no serious designer would settle for PSP. Corel Graphics Suite, maybe....but PSP.......
    However talent is talent and that can be a great thing. Creativity is nother thing that one should find and promote in any individual.

Professionalism is another thing entirely. Confroming to industry standards, preferred methods, and proven best practices are important to a professional. Certain things are priced higher to "keep the riff raff out". For example:

If anyone could get a medical degree specializing in neurology by visiting the local 7/11 I imagine there would be alot more deaths from brain tumors. (However, always remember that even though this is not the case HALF of all doctors graduated at the bottom half or their class)

If everyone was able to pass a state bar exam with an education from wall mart I am sure we would have quite a few lawyers.

If every mechanic in the US got ASE certified at the McDonalds Drive through I am sure we would have a bigger problem than an energy crisis.

I consider myself more than a mechanic yet less than a lawyer. Overall, it is the work ethic, discipline, experience, and attitude which rewards one in any profession.
    Since it is a free market, realistically anyone can claim to be a professional using PSP, yet in reality not conforming to the industry standards like Adobe PS will inherently cost you time, money, and CREDIBILITY.

Work Hard, Have Standards, and Be Happy. The last suggestion is the most important. You could be happy in a trailer park or a mansion. It's entirely up to you. I've seen one company use a ferrari to deliver a pizza......(10 Seat AutoCad license for x y line art only...no 3d... no layers... no nothing... just line art) they're happy though....

14. southernlady

southernlady

No, but saying that the ONLY places to get a law degree or your ASE certification is at Harvard or MIT would be equally as dumb.

My question stands to you as well as others...have you used Paint Shop Pro yourself or are you just going by what you heard it does/does not do from what other people have said.

Until you have used a program, how can you say it isn't worthy? Just because others say so? Or can't you make up your own mind?

Liz

15. Eriksrocks

Eriksrocks

No, Photoshop cannot modify or create vectors in the traditional sense, but it can use them in compositions. Adobe's vector program is Adobe Illustrator. Seperating them allows more specific functions and workflow for each, but again, it's aimed towards professional designers where money is not that much of an object so they don't care if they have to buy two seperate programs (most just buy the whole Creative Suite anyway.)

I agree, Corel's product is probably more bang for your buck with vectors and bitmap editing in one product. :)
    Again, this is just because of the status Photoshop has in the industry. Adobe isn't going to waste its time supporting formats for programs that might be good, yes, but that not many people use. Where as PSD support is a necessity for PSP in order for it to be used with the rest of the industry. It's kind of like Microsoft's control over the .doc format. MS Office does not support OpenOffice's file formats, but OpenOffice must support Microsoft's formats. OpenOffice might very well be better, but that's too bad, because everyone uses MS Office.
    First, I never said it was the best. I just said that it was very good. I did use a very old version of PSP that came installed as a trial on my PC (version 7 I believe). This was a long time ago. Other than that, no, I have not used a recent version. :)
    I agree that its crazy to spend several hundred dollars on a program when you can get generally the same features for much less, but I do doubt that PSP can do everything that Photoshop can. Photoshop is geared toward professional photographers/designers, while PSP is geared more toward the pro-sumer or consumer. :)
    I totally agree. I'm not making you use Photoshop, I'm just saying that people use it so much because it is very good and very powerful.

In summary, I'm not saying that Photoshop is the best, because I don't have the experience to say that. All I'm saying is that Photoshop is used so often because it's a good product. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!