1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Web Server Issue

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Improvenet_1, Jan 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Improvenet_1

Improvenet_1 Thread Starter

I have a demo web server, which is where all of our test changes are made to our real web site. Our programmers and other various web folk ftp the changes to the site (which is just an IP address we don't have a DNS record associated with it). Our web people are in the US, India and Korea and are all having the following problem. They cannot FTP or HTTP to the ip address of the web site, unless they ping it first, if they ping it then they can suddenly get a response from the site and can access it for a period of time. The Demo machine is not behind a firewall of any kind, its just sitting out there. It has no problem seeing the rest of the world. Its running win2k, I might add. This problem just started happening a few weeks ago... I have reinstalled tcp-ip, made sure that the card is not going to sleep, which wasn't the case anyhow.. its like each individual machine has to handshake with it before it will respond to http and ftp, and then after a period of inactivity from that machine it can't access it again without resending the icmp.. oh traceroute also seems to work to wake it up. I can attempt to access the web site, have it not work, ping it, have it work and the guy on the same hub/switch two feet from me has to go through the same process, as do the people in india and korea as well as other varios friends I've had try it. I'm sorry if I'm repeating or over simplyfing my explanation but I want to give full details on the problem... anyone have ideas?

-DC Holland

2. Improvenet_1

Improvenet_1 Thread Starter

So I say so I go *bump*

I needs da helpin!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113420

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice