Web-Server on a Linksys Router

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jamison

Hello everybody,

I have an Apache 2.0.55 web server setup on port 80 - along with PHP/MySQL. I also have a Linksys WRT54G v5 Router and a static IP address. The problem here, is that when I go to http://192.168.1.1 (the router's setup screen) under Applications & Gaming -> Port Range Forward, I have setup port forwarding for Apache, Port: 80, Protocol: Both (TCP & UDP), IP Address: 192.168.1.101 (this PC's IP address - the one with the web server setup on). But the problem is people who are not in my Network still cannot access my Web-Server. Now, I assume I am giving them the correct IP address - which is the IP address given on the router's setup screen under Status. I have everything setup correctly and it should work, but I have no idea why it won't work. Maybe, am I giving them the wrong IP address? I doubt that though because I get the same IP listed under my Firewall (ZoneLab's ZoneAlarm), under my Router's Status page, and at the two following sites: http://www.whatismyip.com & http://www.ipchicken.com - so I can't possibly be giving them the wrong IP address. And when I have my Apache server not running and go to the IP, it times out (obviously, it should). But when my Apache server is running, in Firefox I get an alert that says "The document contains no data.", in Internet Explorer I get a "Cannot find server". Other people out of the Network get the same message(s). What could I possibly be doing wrong?

By the way, I'm running Windows 98SE (Second Edition) and my Linksys Router's firmware version is v1.00.1, Sep. 20, 2005

Note that this question IS NOT related in anyway to P2P File Sharing.

Thanks and regards,
Jamison

Most ISP's blick port 80, try placing the server on port 81 and put your public IP address followed by this :81 and then try. Also make sure to edit you firewall rules to allow port 81 through to the LAN side IP address.

Jamison

Hey thanks for the reply. But unfortunetly it didn't work.

Oh and by the way, when I go to my Public IP Address, it times out. But if I ping it, it recieves a reply usually within 1ms to 2ms (even without the server running).

Have you scanned your public IP address? Maybe the router is not opening the ports correctly? Who is your ISP? Did you make sure to set a static IP address on the webserver box? Try removing all the firewall and virtual server rules you have created. change the web server port to 5001 on the server and open the port on the router. If it still does not work try upgrading the firmware of the router. Can you access the server localy? IE from another machine on the network? Also try connecting the server directly to you modem and see if it gets a public IP address. What kind of modem do you have? cable or DSL?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online