1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

web site help

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by deuce, Jan 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Toddles18

Toddles18

< LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON"
    HREF="/images/logo.jpg" >

Thats the code that I've found before, i've never really gotten it to work but I think that might be because of my host.

My thoughts on the main page, you need to get a pic or something up top. On the scroll bars, leave them the default, they're so noticable that they draw away from the content of the page. Also, try thowing some css in there for the links on the main page

< style type="text/css" >
    A {
    color: #193095;
    text-decoration: none;
    }
    A:Hover{
    color: #006600;
    text-decoration: underline;
    }
    < /style >

Change the colors to match your page.

2. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Ditch the colored scroll bars!
    They use CSS that is not defined in the specifications, and is therefore "illegal" according to web browser standards. I would avoid using them until they are standardized.

3. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

I'm not sure I really like them anyways............so thanks I'll get rid of them. For some reason my password isn't working to save to the server....hopefully it will work tomorrow. :(

4. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

Thanks for the script Todd hopefully it will work for me................now I need to come up with a icon.......... :rolleyes:

5. Toddles18

Toddles18

oh yeah, I should mention that that script is supposed to be placed in the Head.

6. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

I figured.... :)

7. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

What I thought was maybe a short flash intro (maybe) and use flash to come up with a slide show of sorts for that area of black inbetween the links and upcoming events. I thought I'd have differnet pictures from around the world put together in a slide show. How do you think that would look on the front page?

8. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    That sounds like a great idea! I hope you can pull it off. Keep us updated on the progress.

9. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

Ok I will. I need to learn how to use it first. I have to software......................just never used it before. :rolleyes: (that's what great about doing this for someone else.......they pick up the check and all you have to do is say "please include this in your budget" ;)) They bought me macromedia flash media whatever and were willing to spring for the message board software too (until I found a really good free one that I don't even have to host on our own server).............office 2002 and front page 02 came free from the school (I like'em better than my office 2000. :D) as well as did the T3 line. :D :D

Anyway I'll let you guys know when I post the pics......though it might be a few days....or a week. But thanks everybody for the help so far. I appreciate it. :)

10. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

What about the flash intro? Do you think that would be worth it, or do you think it is too much of a nusience for those entering the site (or navigating back to the main page)? By the way I posted the message board under "IAC Groups"...even though it really isn't fully setup yet. :rolleyes: One category of fourms is going to be "academic forums" and the main purpose of the entire message board is not only to provide a place for club members and students to talk but for our sister schools around the world to come and get english help. I'm talking to the writing center at school and hopefully they can help out. However... I can't think of good forums to include in that "academic" category. Can you guys think of any good names? BTW there are more than two categories there..................the other two are hidden. ;)

11. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Under Academic, you could have one for each of the academic subjects.

12. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

like what do you mean?

13. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Nevermind, I thought at first it was a high school's site wheree you could have a board for each academic class.

14. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

No... accomodating an accademic forum of that nature wouldn't work too well. However, I did have some sort of revelation in my sleep last night. Here I've been thinking about this message board for a few days, and as soon as I try to go to sleep last night I get ideas. I think what we're going to want is to bring in a broad audience and give way for discussions from everywhere from arguements about nothing to deep intense political discussions--basically make an entire message board out of TSG's Random Discussion. I need to attract an audience that will spur interesting and informative info that will keep people coming back. I thought maybe a World forum that has boards for political discussions, news, international events/conflicts/affairs ect ect, debates, opinions, travel, culture, foriegn policy discussions, world economics, ect. Make it like an interactice "MPR" (Minnesota Public Radio--in my opinion some the best public radio--or at least of that I've listened to) where it is close to as informative as listening to their news and some of their shows....but make it easy for those reading to join in.

For the academic board if I keep it there........I can put boards for help with majors, tips, interests (or this could go with the other stuff), clubs....ect...................and of course the original intention help with english, language........ect.

Basically this is for the International Affairs club............it should be innovative and give way for discussion and education of everything global. Hopefully we can draw a good audience from the club and from the school..............and hopefully we can draw in many others with interest.

What do you guys think? Any thoughts?

15. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

When you set up Anyboard, you can set up multiple forums/chat rooms all at once or add them later.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115239

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice