1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

web site help

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by deuce, Jan 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

Well I'll see if i can do it. Well, I might wait until I get some more finished.....but hopefully it will work out ok.

2. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

FYI

Technically, HTML 4.01 is still the standard.

Even though newer browsers work great with XHTML, they do not specifically support it.

With that said, if you are concerned about that, you should use HTML 4.01. specifically HTML 4.01 Transitional because it is less strict than HTML 4.01 Strict on what you can and cannot do. (that's if you want to conform to the specifications)

Here is a template that I use when making HTML 4.01 pages.

Colors, link colors, background colors, background image etc are all defined with CSS.

the character type meta tag is included, which is technically required.

the meta tag to properly define the use of css is included also.

The perfect program to edit these pages is HTML-KIT. It has it's own validator or you can use online through the program.

under actions-tools-html tidy-invoke html tidy. This will fix some errors and then display any errors that were not fixed.

you can strip surplus tags used with microsoft products to get rid of all the extra crap they throw in with your code.

Just FYI :D

3. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

hey thanks :)

4. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

So as long as you are going to stick with the HTML 4.01 transitional in that template, you don't need to change any of the DOCTYPE code.......correct?

5. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

yep correct

6. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

oh, I forgot to throw this link at ya. http://home.tbbs.net/shadow/arstbbs.htm

it's a XHTML 1.1 page using tables.

The page was never finished and doesn't look to great, but I did get it to validate.

another example that may help with tables.

7. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

thanks. :)

8. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

Ok....I finally got some time to play around with flash mx. I'm having a few problems though. First, dream weaver mysteriously changed the hight dimension by just a few pixels and I can't get it back. Second, I can't seem to be able to use the flash version of the slide show. If I insert the flash file to the page in dream weaver, it just shows a small box that when viewed in a browser, is just a white box. I can however use the shockwave file instead and everything works fine, but not everyone has shockwave since it isn't as integrated as well into most browsers as flash is. Anyone know what is going on? How can I use the flash file for the slide show? I'll try to link to the page with the shockwave file, if anyone can view it. Right now it's just a few random pictures that I am playing around with.........when I figure this thing out I will put more work into it.

9. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

by the way.............the address has been changed to

http://www.csbsju.edu/iaclub

The lady that is head of IT is bizzare and insisted on giving us an address that defied protocal, and it took a small battle to get it fixed. :rolleyes:

I'll have to edit the first post sometime.

10. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

11. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

hang on.............I'll try again

12. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

Well....I was trying to upload this some how so you could see it and it's not working out. I tried just using it as the main page, and the shockwave gets screwed up. I tried just uploading it to some inconspicious folder in the web and it still gets screwed up so I don't know. But any help what so ever is appreciated.

13. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

If it would help to see what I have, emailing it might work for those who have shockwave.

14. deuce

deuce Thread Starter

Anyone know much about flash and dreamweaver? Apparently I'm doing something wrong. If someone could just give an overview of how to use flash with dreamweaver to animate pages, ect., that would be helpful.

15. MadDogMugsy

MadDogMugsy Guest

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115239

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice