1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

web surfing stalls.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by max 8, Dec 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. max 8

max 8 Thread Starter

Hi, I have a PCTel modem in my new computer that I'm told is the cheapest and worst modem in the world.
    I know that my ISP/tel dial up is ok since I've been using it for over 2 yrs.
    The problem w/ my new system is that it kinda stalls/freezes every 2 to 3 minutes for a least 10 seconds at a time where nothing happens and then the web page pops up.
    I'm thinking it can only be the modem's fault. what else since like I said I've been using the same phone line, tel# and ISP for over 2yrs now.
    I'm thinking of buying a US Robotics modem.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

Don't rule out problems with the ISP or the phone line just because you've been using the same ones for 2 years. Maybe the ISP changed a server or installed new software that isn't functioning properly. Maybe the phone company is working on the lines or is upgrading some equipment.

3. max 8

max 8 Thread Starter

thanks for responding but I'm sure it's not the ISP since I'm still using my older computer and it works just fine.
    when I say it web surfing stalls is that there is no response when you watch the download progress bar. nothing happens for abou 10seconds then the page starts loading. then everything works fine until after a few minutes later and then the long pause
    again.

4. beach51

beach51

Hi Max 8,Lets have a look at your startup programs.Go to Start>Run>type in Msinfo32>click ok.When the system information window opens,click on the + sign next to software environment>click on startup programs>Click edit>select all>edit >copy,and paste the page back here.

5. john_waldrum

john_waldrum

You can go to www.pcpitstop.com and run a check of your whole computer including your modem, but do what beach51 suggested first, could be too many running programs in background.

6. max 8

max 8 Thread Starter

Hi John and Beach.
    I only have have systray and explorer running.
    I have configured my msconfig and even have startcop to make sure none of the other programs I don't need run at startup.
    I'm not home right now but I'm well aware of you think might be the problem. I'm running at 96% resources at startup.
    Maybe I didn't explain my problem too clearly.
    I'm able to get onto the internet and visit different sites.
    I's just that every so many minutes when I try to open a different page, nothing happens. I check the d/l progress bar and it's not moving. I'm able to move the cursor and move the scroll bar and everything on the page I'm in, it's just that the d/l part stalls and after about 10seconds the new page loads.
    This happens every 1 or 2 minutes.

7. beach51

beach51

Hi Max 8,Have you cleaned out your temp internet files?Have you tried the repair option for IE?If not Go to the control panel,internet options,Delete your temp.internet files.For the repair option for IE,go to Add and remove programs in control panel,highlight IE and internet tools>click remove>the repair Ie dialog box will open,put a tick in repair IE.

8. max 8

max 8 Thread Starter

Hi Beach51. I always delete my temp internet files everytime I log of the internet.
    I have a 3 week old computer. AMD AThlon Tbird 1200mhz w/ 256mb of DDR Ram.
    Could my IE be bad already?

9. beach51

beach51

Hi Max 8.Well anything is possible.:D It wont hurt anything to try it.Just to rule that out as the possiable cause.dAm not a big fan of any program like startup cop.You can do everything it does,by going to msconfig.and selecting which programs start and which dont,and you dont have another program on your system that you have to worry about.Try this Max,when your online,do the 3 finger salute,(Ctrl>Alt>Delete)and see what programs are running.

10. max 8

max 8 Thread Starter

Beach51, here's what you asked for from msinfo32:

MSMSGS Registry (Per-User Run) "C:\PROGRAM FILES\MESSENGER\MSMSGS.EXE" /background
    ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    CountrySelection Registry (Machine Run) pctptt.exe
    PTSNOOP Registry (Machine Run) ptsnoop.exe
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme

11. beach51

beach51

Hi Max,nothing wrong with that startup.You dont need msmsgs starting up throu.You can access that from start>programs.Am kind of running out of ideas,maybe someone else has some suggestions.

12. max 8

max 8 Thread Starter

Thanks Beach51 but I need to ask you something.
    No matter how many times I unchech msmsgs and PTsnoop,
    they still load and the check is back in msconfig.
    What's up with that?

13. max 8

max 8 Thread Starter

Beach51. Looks like your idea about repairing my IE worked.
    I'm no longer getting d/l stalls. Thanks!!!
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!

14. beach51

beach51

Hi Max,Glad to hear the problem is solved,and your welcome.Fromeveryone here at TSG,Happy Hoildays to you to:D

15. beach51

beach51

Max,when you remove the check mark next to the programs you dont want running in msconfig,make sure you click apply,then ok,and let the computer reboot.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62100

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice