Webbrowser Won't Load

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SusiQusi

Hi Everyone

I am trying to fix a friend's computer. He had 4 trojans on his pc that he found in January and didn't tell anyone. He is running OS: xp pro 1a.......RAM: 512......cant remember the information about his hard drive except it's an AMD.

The error message he is getting is this:

"cannot open web browser, error message "Downloading from site:res//C\WINDOWS\System32\shdolc.dll/offcancl.htm"

I have tried system restore, it will dont work for him, also tried a reinstall of windows, still no go. I tried to run hijack but it will not read from his floppy disk. I will try to save hijack to a cdrom and run it when I go there on Tuesday.

I would appreciate any suggestions that you can give me. You guys are always so helpful. Thank you.

Susi

Install avast home edition on your friends pc from a cd rom or jump drive and then run avast antivirus. Get rid of the Trojans then go to firefox and get rid of his IE or Netscape.

This worked for me, but someone else may have a better idea.

www.avast.com

www.firefox.com

SusiQusi

Thankies HelpDesk1 I will try but his pc only connects at 32.3 kb as he is in a rural area.........so I'll burn the install and program to disk here and hopefully fingers crossed. Thankies muchly :)

SusiQusi

Hi Everyone

Am just heading out to my friend's place to try to run hijack and hopefully that will work. Also to install firefox and avg (from disk). I'll let you know how it goes, thankies so much for your suggestions HelpDesk1........I shall return.....

Regards

Susanne

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online