1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

webcam and servers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kenbo0422, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenbo0422

kenbo0422 Thread Starter

I've been searching the net for a way to use a simple print server (USB or otherwise) as a server for a camera. I would like to use a simple USB cam to monitor activities around the house and wondered if there was a software program or converter for print servers to allow viewing a cam through my home network. Is there such a thing? If not, I would figure it would be a great way to use a print server, since alot of them have an extra port.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can buy webcams that connect directly to the network, but a USB print server is pretty specific to printers, I doubt you'll find a webcam that connects. :)

3. kenbo0422

kenbo0422 Thread Starter

Yeah, I know they're out there. I was just wonderin if a print server module could be used via software/patch/etc to do a cam server job. I figured since USB is bidirectional and most printers are as well, then why not? I guess if it can be done, someone's gonna have to write the program to make it work.
    :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!