1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Webcam compatibility problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jimbo99, Oct 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jimbo99

jimbo99 Thread Starter

Hi, I'm new to this so I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I recently bought a Chicony TwinkleCam webcam (USB), but when I install the driver and restart my computer I can no longer connect to the internet. My OS is Windows XP and I have a broadband connection via a router. I use an automatically obtained IP address provided by the DHCP server, but when I restart the computer the IP address and default gateway addresses have changed. Even if I try to enter the original addresses manually I still can't connect.

I restored the computer to the previous restore point and the problem stopped, so I am thinking that it must be the camera driver or something that occurs during the installation.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Per chance is the USB Controller sharing the same IRQ with the NIC card?

3. jimbo99

jimbo99 Thread Starter

I've just checked the IRQs, the USB controller is on IRQ 21 and the NIC is on IRQ 23, so I don't think that is the problem.

4. ~Candy~

Are you installing drivers for the camera from the disk that came with it? Or is XP finding them? Did you follow the installation intructions, some USB devices don't like to be plugged in until the setup is run.

5. ~Candy~

Did it say it was compatible with XP?????

6. jimbo99

jimbo99 Thread Starter

I installed the drivers from the CD which came with the webcam and I followed the installation instructions exactly, only connecting the USB cable when told to do so.

7. jimbo99

jimbo99 Thread Starter

Yes, according to the info supplied with the camera it is XP compatible.

8. ~Candy~

I don't know how the camera installaton would change the IP address and default gateway.

What happens if you don't install the software from the cd and just plug the USB camera in and let it be found and go that route?

9. jimbo99

jimbo99 Thread Starter

I tried that as well, but the Hardware Wizard can't find any drivers, so I would have to install from the CD again!!

10. ~Candy~

Right, but you'll put the cd in just so it can locate drivers, not let it autorun thru the setup.exe.

11. jimbo99

jimbo99 Thread Starter

Ok, so that's me being stupid. I'll try that, thanks.

12. ~Candy~

You may have to browse to a specific driver folder to, not just stop the search at E: or whatever your cdrom drive letter is.

13. jimbo99

jimbo99 Thread Starter

Right, I let Windows detect the new hardware and install the drivers, and that worked ok. But now some very strange things are happening.

Firstly, when I open Internet Explorer it just comes up with an error saying "Cannot connect to server" and " Page cannot be displayed", which suggests there is a problem with the internet connection. Also I can't connect through Microsoft Outlook to send/receive emails. BUT I am signed in to Messenger and can access the internet through this.

Also another Local Area Network connection has appeared in Network Connections called "Microsoft TV/Video Connection". This is running alongside my usual LAN connection, but I only have one NIC and one network cable going into my computer. I tried to disable this connection, but it wouldn't let me. It gave an error which I've attached as a jpeg.

Something is definitely not right!!!

Attached Files:

14. ~Candy~

Ah, so it's installing it's own deal.........interesting. Can you right click on the 'real' one and see what happens if you bridge connections?

15. jimbo99

jimbo99 Thread Starter

I've bridged the two connections, but that hasn't helped with the non-connection through Internet Explorer. It seems that everything which requires an internet connection is disabled except for Messenger and this IE window which I am using to post to the forum.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!