1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Webcam light comes on randomly, but windows says "connect to camera"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by caligirl171, May 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. caligirl171

caligirl171 Thread Starter

Hello,

I have a Toshiba Satellite c55t-a5218. Recently, my hard drive failed, and so my friend gave me a different one and I switched them out. I used the recovery disks I had made from the first hard drive to install windows onto the new hard drive. Ever since, my webcam hasn't been working. The light will come on and off randomly (it's on right now), but when I open the default "camera" application, it says "connect to a camera". I tried using a 3rd party application, also didn't recognize the camera. It's not even recognized on device manager, and I couldn't find a driver for the camera at all on the toshiba website. Is there anything I can do short of getting a new webcam on ebay and replacing it?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU 2020M @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3975 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1795 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 227992 MB, Free - 185823 MB;
    Motherboard: TOSHIBA, Portable PC
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Toshiba Satellite C55T-A5218

Did your laptop come with a built-in webcam?

According to its detailed specs and Windows 8 64-bit drivers list, no webcam or driver for it is listed.

---------------------------------------------------------

3. caligirl171

Yes, I have used it many times before. It is listed here under "Communications" as "HD webcam with microphone".

Detailed Specifications for Satellite C55T-A5218

The weird thing is the microphone works?
    I thought it was weird too that there is no driver listed. I have searched high and low for some kind of camera driver, but have been unsuccessful.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I scrolled down to "Input Devices" and not beyond that, so I missed the "Communications" section.

I still can't find a Windows 8 64-bit webcam driver software package for it.

I personally have never used Windows 8, so I'm not familiar with any of its issues.

You may be forced to switch to an external USB webcam.

Some of the Logitech models are actually better than the build-in webcam.

-----------------------------------------------------------

5. caligirl171

I know it's so weird. I bought this computer brand new from Best Buy though, and I have definitely used the camera without problems before. Plus the light and microphone work!! Which I would think was indicative that it worked in some way. Grrrr idk.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147896

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice