Webdings or Wingdings everywhere - Help!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

txgrl1977

My computer is currently running Windows XP Home, and when you turn it on and boot into Windows, you only see some sort of Wing/Web-ding type font - no English whatsoever. I've tried suggestions from a couple other threads, but no go. I've tried going into Display Properties to change the font, no go. I've tried running system restore, no go. I've run virus scan from trend micro's website, cleaned all viruses (as far as I can tell). I'm not sure what else to do??? Can someone please help...any advice/suggestions/tips/fixes would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,
jennifer

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
"I've tried going into Display Properties to change the font, no go."

Can't get there or making a change has no affect?

txgrl1977

WhitPhil-
I can navigate to Display Properties, go to Appearance, click Advanced, then click on a window to change, click Font, the only options (that I can see) are FixedSys and System. When I click on either, it doesn't seem to do anything...as in no changes made at all.

ok , you said you cleaned your machine from viruses , did you do the same for trojans and worms ? because an antivirus doesnt remove these kind of threats .
most likely you have some funny hijack that changes your setting .
SPYBOT
ADWARE SE
if these doesnt come with nothing ,try this
tds-3 , update all these programs before scanning your HD .good luck

txgrl1977

Well, I'm not so sure that my machine is 100% clean. I've tried going to trend micro's website and running the online scan, but the part of the page where you click "scan" is not appearing, therefore, leaving me unable to run the virus scan. I'm not sure if it would be worth trying to install Norton and then running a system virus scan?

I've also tried downloading adaware se, and get an error msg about unwise.exe and the install quits.

I've never heard of tds-3, but I could try it.

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
If you browse to \Windows\Fonts, do you have any, other than System and Fixedsys?

Are you having font issues in any other apps?

txgrl1977

WhitPhil-
When I browse for fonts, it shows nothing, just an empty window - which is weird. And yes, this font issue is entirely throughout windows and all applications.

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
Do a Find Files for Fonts and see if the folder has been accidentally moved.

txgrl1977

I wish I could tell you what folder Fonts is in, but I can't. However, I managed to get a screen shot of the search - which is basically what everything I see looks like.

Ok, I'm not stupid, but I can't attach the file to this msg. I get a "Page cannot be displayed" msg when I click "upload" from this website. I have it saved as bmp.

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
See if you can open a DOS prompt?

Start > Run > COMMAND

Then enter
CD\
DIR /asr FONTS /s

And, if it works, note the Directory it is in.

txgrl1977

WhitPhil-
I think it worked...looks like it's in the Windows directory

Rude-
I made a copy of all fonts, burned to cd, copied to the system w/the problem, and didn't make a difference. I'm going to try what Alex_Ethridge did, moving the hard drive to another system and try deleting all and then replacing all the fonts.

Man this is frustrating!

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
I think you are going to end up restoring them somehow.

But, do the DOS thing again

CD\Windows\Fonts

Dir/p

Are there lots of files there, or just a couple.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online