1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Webhosting Myself

Discussion in 'Networking' started by EdgarJ, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. EdgarJ

EdgarJ Thread Starter

Hello, i just wanna know how can i webhost myself?
    -EJ

2. tech.dude

tech.dude

Download and install Wamp 5. Instructions are on the website.

3. EdgarJ

EdgarJ Thread Starter

thxs dude

4. tech.dude

tech.dude

No problem.

Just to let you know, it's best to go with a webhost rather than to host yourself, unless you have a dedicated computer and (close to) unlimited bandwidth through your ISP if you plan on having a lot of hits to your website. Your computer must stay on and connected to the internet in order for others to access your website, but generally, hosting your own website proves to be more reliable than to use a webhost.

5. EdgarJ

EdgarJ Thread Starter

u seem like experience on hosting?

6. tech.dude

tech.dude

Yes, I have learned a lot about web hosting, web design, ftp, and the like. I have ran a few sites before for both myself and others.

Just to let you know, you can get a free .co.nr domain name from FreeDomain.co.nr. You will need one if you do not want your visitors to type 127.0.0.1 or whatever your IP is in the address bar, unless you either have a domain, a free .co.nr domain, or a subdomain you can receive for free ad DynDns.

7. EdgarJ

EdgarJ Thread Starter

8. EdgarJ

EdgarJ Thread Starter

also, i need someone to teach me how to hostmyself if u could help me emial me @ [email protected] or add me to msn wlm

9. tech.dude

tech.dude

I have sent you an email with further instructions on how to setup your web server.

10. jackdw

jackdw

I do this on a dedicated laptop at a friends house for my company:
    http://whiting.no-ip.info/
    ^Not advertising, just showing an example.

.no-ip.info comes from a dynamic DNS which saves people having to type in the IP (which changes nearly every day) - noip.com
    I use wamp5, just the http for now however I have someone working on something to do with php...
    Filezilla I use as an ftp server.

The only tricky part is forwarding ports etc. if your router has a 'assign public IP address' function, that helps loads...

11. EdgarJ

EdgarJ Thread Starter

do dificult for me, cuse i want to host my website, but i found a website hosting, they go offline like a week, that :mad: me, so, if u know about a good websote hosting reply plz

12. tech.dude

tech.dude

FreeWebSpace.net is the best directory of free webhosts. Click here to go to their advanced search page. If you are looking for special offers, check their forums here.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!