1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Weblinks Won't Open Properly to Webpage

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Galleherjazz, Jul 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Galleherjazz

Galleherjazz Thread Starter

First Name:
    Stephen
    I have Windows 7 Professional HP PC, and recently my weblinks saved on my PC do not open properly. At first, when I clicked on a link, it went into the Print panel. This applies only to the weblinks that I have saved in various folders, not to my bookmarked links within the browser. (My default browser is Firefox.). So I right clicked and went to OPEN WITH, and ticked the Always use the selected program box and chose Firefox. Well, this opened firefox, and a prompt comes up, saying, "What should Firefox do with this file?" I click on Open with Firefox and the box below that says "Do this automatically for files like this from now on."

When I did this, Firefox went crazy and starting creating duplicate blank tabs very, very fast. It turns out the extension for these weblinks had adopted the eml file. Looking at the prompt that opened, it shows clearly that the weblink has EML as its extension!!

So, I Googled this issue and tried changing some things in Firefox. I was able to stop the cloning of tabs by changing the "open with" back to Mozilla Thunderbird.

So now all previously saved weblinks on my PC (not from the Bookmarks) have the eml extension and I do not know how to eliminate this extension.

I am not sure exactly what happened to make the weblink extension go haywire. I was updating some programs and Thunderbird came up to update. I believe it was the Thunderbird update that fouled up the extension. As one of my attempts to fix the issue, I uninstalled Thunderbird but it did not resolve any issue.

Also, I ran two antivirus/malware programs I use: Webroot Secure Anywhere and Symantec Endpoint Protection. I also ran SuperAntiSpyware. No offending malwares showed up.

So here is what the situation is now: if I save a weblink, say, to my desktop, it shows as Internet Shortcut, but when I open it, it goes immediately to the Print Panel. This is for new weblinks I save to my PC. As for old weblinks, they all have an eml extension.

This is an overlong description of my situation. It would have been difficult to shorten it. Please, does anyone know what happened and how to go about correcting it. I want my weblinks, obviously, to open in my default browser. Your help would gain my undying thanks.

I have attached a photo of the two prompts described in this post.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 16340 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745, -1 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 463 GB (87 GB Free); D: 12 GB (1 GB Free); E: 1862 GB (1589 GB Free); H: 3725 GB (2955 GB Free); L: 3725 GB (3651 GB Free); M: 2794 GB (1359 GB Free); N: 3725 GB (386 GB Free); O: 4657 GB (1104 GB Free); P: 4657 GB (1733 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 2B36
    Antivirus: Webroot SecureAnywhere, Enabled and Updated

Attached Files:

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    A file with an .eml extension is typically a complete single mail message, not a hyperlink to a web page. Exactly how did you create the files?

3. Galleherjazz

First Name:
    Stephen
    The file extension was created without my knowledge. Something happened, I'm not sure what. I do know that I updated Thunderbird. Anyway, when I opened a weblink on my desktop, it went to the print panel. So I right clicked on the web page link and went to OPEN WITH and chose Firefox. This then did something to all my weblinks, they took on the eml extension. Now every link I save has an "Internet Shortcut" extension, but when I go to open one, it does to the print panel! I am attaching a weblink file that illustrates this issue. NOTE: When I went to upload the file to you, I got a prompt that said, "The uploaded file does not have an allowed extension. For more information, visit the Uploading a File Help Page." So the mystery deepens!

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    That is strange. I know that in Windows you can change what app becomes the default for opening a file with a particular extension, but I have not heard of Firefox ever changing the file name of any files just by opening one of them.

I don't think you quite answered my question. Maybe it will help if I reworded it. Right now, how would you create a new weblink and save it to your desktop? Would you right click on something opened in Thunderbird or Firefox or choose a menu selection in Thunderbird or Firefox to create the weblink? Or, would you create it in another way?

As for uploading files, this site limits the types of files that can be uploaded:
    https://forums.techguy.org/help/upload/

You could try zipping the file and then uploading

5. Galleherjazz

First Name:
    Stephen
    cwwozniak,

Thanks for staying with me! FIREFOX is not the issue. It is now any browser whose weblink I save to my PC. I will try and zip the file that won't upload. This weblink file came from Chrome, not Firefox.

I create a weblink by dragging the address from the URL to my desktop folder. I can also copy from the web page and paste. Either way produces the same result. If I simply save the link in my Bookmarks, the file doesn't get corrupted.

In the zip file I sent you, the file is labeled a URL file. On my computer, it says "Internet Shortcut." Something is afoul in the labeling. I'll be interested to see if the file opens properly with you!!

Attached Files:

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I was able to open your uploaded file using Windows Explorer on my windows 8.1 desktop. It showed the original file name as Weblinks Won't Open Properly to Webpage - Tech Support Guy.url . However, when I extracted the file to the desktop, Windows Explorer dropped/or hid the .url extension. I have Windows Explorer set to show all extensions at all times. It has a Firefox icon (my default web browser) and an arrow in the lower left corner of the icon that I thought indicates it is a shortcut to another file. I launched Notepad and dropped the unzipped file into it. Notepad showed the contents as:
    Code:
    [InternetShortcut]
    URL=https://forums.techguy.org/threads/weblinks-wont-open-properly-to-webpage.1229963/#post-9619858

Double-clicking on the file opened a new tab in Firefox and showed this TSG forum thread. That is the default action I have chosen for Firefox when opening a new web page.

The unzipped file is only 121 bytes long, which is about right for a web page link. The problem file's properties that you listed in your first post show the size is 48.1 Kilobytes, which is about 400 times larger. Could you try launching Notepad and than dropping the file mentioned in your first post into Notepad? Does it appear to be some form of an email message or an Internet shortcut like the unzipped file I showed above?

7. Galleherjazz

First Name:
    Stephen
    I did as you suggested with the URL file. At first when I went to save it, it indicated that the URL file was a text file, for it asked it I wanted to override it! Then I created a new text file, gave it a special name, dragged the URL file into the text file, and it showed up in the text file. I saved it with this in the text file:
    [InternetShortcut]
    "URL=https://forums.techguy.org/threads/weblinks-wont-open-properly-to-webpage.1229963/#post-9619858"

But when I went to open the newly saved file to check on it before sending it to you, the file was EMPTY!! So weird!!

I copied and pasted the content of the text file and it worked fine in my browser. Something happens to the transferred URL between the website and the desktop.

I am hoping you have a clue as to how to fix this.

I found a site that gave me downloads for two registry fixes: the first removes shortcut extensions; the second restores shortcut extensions. I am hesitant to try these without advice. Of course, I could back up the registry, but I am uncertain if these registry hacks will solve the issue.

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I just learned that when you tell Windows Explorer to show all extensions that it allows super hidden file extensions which are set in the registry to never show in Windows Explorer. That explains why the .url extension is not visible when looking at filenames. Knowing that the hiding is still going on is enough and there should be no need to edit the registry to show these special extensions.

I wanted to go back to your original problem. I had asked you to use Notepad to open the existing file mentioned in your very first. I am including your screen capture from that first post that shows the filename in question. The file should be able to be opened in Notepad by first starting Notepad and then clicking and dragging the file fromthe desktop or Windows File Explorer into the Notepad window. There should be no need to change anything or save anything befor dropping it into Notepad. Unless the opened file shows the content of an email with any personal or sensitive information or any email addresses, copy and paste the Notepad contents into a post here; no need to save as any kind of file.

Attached Files:

9. Galleherjazz

First Name:
    Stephen
    I was successful in finding an old saved URL file and I successfully dragged it to a Notepad file. I attach it here. On my PC, when I double click to open the URL, Internet Explorer opens and then a nag screen appears. I also attach a screenshot of this screen.

Attached Files:

10. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I downloaded your .txt file and opened it in Notepad. It appeared to be the body of an email with a few embedded jpg and gif file attachments. I changed the extension to .eml and double clicked on it. I use MS-Outlook 2016 as my default email client. The .eml file opened in Outlook to show 14 cartoons related to the Internet and computer usage and dated 6/2/2006. So the files that you call weblinks with the .eml extensions are not web links. They are emails with embedded attachments. You could try leaving the extension as .eml, right clicking on the file and choosing to open it with whatever Microsoft email client program may be installed on your computer.

11. Galleherjazz

First Name:
    Stephen
    I am kind of lost now. I don't seem to be able to find any corrupted eml files now. In fact, the eml files I have saved seem now to open fine in my default email program. It is the weblinks that continue to give a problem! When I save the webpage I am on now with you, it shows up as "Internet Shortcut." When I click on it, I get a prompt as if I am about to print the link! (Attached screenshot of what appears when I click on the weblink, described as "Internet Shortcut." I am unable to right click and OPEN AS with this file. I am going to put that corrupted file in a text and send it via a ZIP file. When I put that corrupted file in a text message, it indicates that it is a URL file! But when I go to save the text file, it is EMPTY!! I cannot understand why this is. Anyway, I am able to zip the offending file. It seems to show up in the ZIP as a URL file. In my Explorer, at the bottom of the page when I highlight the saved link, it says Internet Shortcut. I am attaching this zip file.

The issue now is how to change my saved weblinks for this offending Internet Shortcut to a normal URL extension?

Attached Files:

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229963

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice