Solved Webm type files, How to open?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

goedel

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G2030 @ 3.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3967 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1791 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 448568 MB, Free - 382883 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0XFWHV
Antivirus: Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition, Updated and Enabled

Often in downloading, I have a choice among several files. They include types mp4 and webm. If I do not require the video portion of the clip, could I simply download the much shorter webm file for the audio? If yes. how do I open it? Is there another way simply to download the audio stream of a a/v clip?

plodr

Liz

goedel

I actually download the video, mp4, then I extract the audio using Pazera audio extractor.
http://www.pazera-software.com/products/audio-extractor/

Sometimes I save both, other times I erase the video and just save an mp3.

I've never downloaded a webm file so I went looking to see what it is. Apparently VLC, which I use, can extract the audio from a webm file.
http://www.ghacks.net/2011/07/15/how-to-extract-audio-from-video-files-using-vlc-media-player/

I guess I'll have to test this.
That could be worth doing. I downloaded the *.webm, and - surprise - surprise - I found the file with a *.mp3 type in my download folder. I don't know if that will always occur, but it did on this try. I'll wait to learn what you find before marking solved.

plodr

Liz
You'd have to point me to a webm file because I've never been offered in that format to download.

goedel

You'd have to point me to a webm file because I've never been offered in that format to download.
OK, maybe this will help: https://vvv.utube.com/watch?v=Dg6gu3qY7rA
[Note: I changed www.youtube above to vvv.utube in order to prevent the clip from appearing.]
The video clip* can be downloaded as an mp4 type. The other choices are all webM types. Because I wanted only the audio, I chose the smallest of all the webMs to download. In my download file, I found not a webM file but a mp3 file with the audio I wanted. I don't know what I should have found had I downloaded a larger webM file.
--------
* The clip is an interview of a noted publisher by a media interviewer.

Last edited:

goedel

plodr: I am not surprised. The URL I supplied was altered by me, as I stated in my note. If I had typed the correct URL , it would have presented as the video clip. For that reason, I typed "vvv.utube" instead of the correct "www.youtube". Try the correct version of the URL in your address box and you will be taken to the site. If you then try to download the clip, you will have a choice of mp4 files or webM files.

plodr

Liz
I caught the vvv, I missed the utube because so many people misuse it. DUH!

Got it but I am only shown the mp4 option to download. I guess that's why I'm unfamiliar with webm. It is never presented to me.

goedel

I caught the vvv, I missed the utube because so many people misuse it. DUH!

Got it but I am only shown the mp4 option to download. I guess that's why I'm unfamiliar with webm. It is never presented to me.
As you can see, I am using Windows 7 OS and the Firefox browser. Also, I am using a download extension called "Flash Video Downloader - YouTube HD Download (4k)". I am marking this thread solved, because I no longer have a problem getting only an mp3, audio download.

Thanks to all who have replied!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online