1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Webpage Only Writes Text File on Some Workstations

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cembtw, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cembtw

cembtw Thread Starter

(Part of this involves 2003SBS, but I figured the XP forum was the best place for this as all the workstations are XP Pro.)

My firm has a local .aspx website (that I did not create) which includes the following feature:
    On one page, a user can "export" the results of a stored procedure to a user-defined text file (the page uses streamwriter to do this).

- Several months ago, this apparently stopped working for some of my workstations. Even though no errors are reported, the file remains in its previous state. I don't know of any changes that could have occurred back then to affec this.(I DO know that the code hasn't changed.)

- However, when the operation is run on the server (where the site/database/etc. reside) or on any number of "good" workstations, the file is properly written.

I thought it might be permissions issues, but everything looks in order...or perhaps communication/authentication issues the security tab in the "bad" workstations show nothing but success audits.

I am rather novice when it come to this environment, so help or hints as to what I should be looking for would be greatly appreciated!

2. cembtw

cembtw Thread Starter

It turned out to be the IE security setting "Include local directory when uploading files to a server". This setting is disabled by default.

The working PCs had the setting enabled for some reason. Adding the site as a "Trusted Site" also enables the setting, achieving the same result.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973055

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice