1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Webroot Spy Sweeper freezing problem

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by cadlewv, Jan 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cadlewv

cadlewv Thread Starter

Hello. I purchased and installed SpySweeper. When doing sweeps, it gets very far into the sweep, and freezes. I cannot ctrl+alt+del, I can't close the program or anything else. Sometimes it will let me continue browsing if I already have a window open. I see where most people recommend this program, but if it won't finish even one sweep without locking up my computer I'll have to go back to Windows AntiSpyware.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi,
    You probably should not be using the Internet at all, if by browsing you meant surfing websites, while doing a complete scan with SpySweeper.

On first scans, it may run better from Safe Mode. Also, there are some malwares that can mess around with many of antivirus and antispyware programs, in fact there are some that prevent almost any from running at all.

Update to the latest definitions, if you have just installed, you have probably done this.
    Once the definitions are installed, click Options on the left side.
    Click the Sweep Options tab.
    Under What to Sweep please put a check next to the following:
    Sweep Memory
    Sweep Registry
    Sweep Cookies
    Sweep All User Accounts
    Enable Direct Disk Sweeping
    Sweep Contents of Compressed Files
    Sweep for Rootkits-Make sure you DO check to do this one!
    Please UNCHECK Do not Sweep System Restore Folder.

You should do the scan in Safe Mode but there is one thing to do before you restart to Safe Mode:

NOTE: Before you run SpySweeper, you will have to temporarily turn off Microsoft Antispyware as it can interfere with changes the scan from SpySweeper will have to make
    Set the settings while in Normal Mode, and see if the program remains inactive when you are in Safe Mode, and before you run a sweep with SpySweeper.

Turn off MS Antispyware this way:

• Open MS Anti-Spyware and click on Options > Settings.
    • Click on "Realtime Protection" in the left pane.
    • Remove the check by these:
      • Enable the Microsoft Security Agents on startup (recommended)
      • Enable real-time spyware threat protection (recommended)
    • Click "Save"
    • Now right click the MS Anti-spyware icon in your system tray and choose "Shutdown Microsoft Anti-Spyware"
    • Leave it disabled until we are finished here.

* Restart your computer into safe mode now.To get into the Windows 2000 / XP Safe mode, as the computer is booting press and hold your "F8 Key" which should bring up the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" as shown below. Use your arrow keys to move to "Safe Mode" and press your Enter key.

Perform the following steps in safe mode:

Click Sweep Now on the left side.
    Click the Start button.
    When it's done scanning, click the Next button.
    Make sure everything has a check next to it, then click the Next button.
    It will remove all of the items found.

You can post the session log here if you need to:

Click Session Log in the upper right corner, copy everything in that window.
    Click the Summary tab and click Finish.
    Paste the contents of the session log you copied into your next reply.

We would like to see a Hijackthis log also if you are definitely having malware problems and need help.

There are some other things that can interfere with scans like this, here is a list and how to temporarily turn them off when you want to scan:

http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_Removal:_Temporarily_Disable_Real_Time_Monitoring_Programs

I would say the idea is to turn off any in that list when you want to run SpySweeper, and turn off SS when you want to run, for instance, MS Antispyware.

Popup blockers also interfere with online antivirus scanners- these are just things we all have to learn about, rather than tear our hair out. Hope this helps you!

3. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi cadlewv, Did you have time to try anything above yet- and, any progress made? We would like to help, and we like to know when something does, or doesn't, help. (y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/434760

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice