1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Webserver not working with new router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by fk-wholesale-ltd, May 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fk-wholesale-ltd

fk-wholesale-ltd Thread Starter

I've just updated my router to the Netgear DGN3500. My websites on my server no longer work although the internet does work on the server. On the router I've setup the port forwarding so the incoming services are pointing to the server's LAN IP address. I've tried to reset the router and disabled the server's firewall and Windows firewall and able to ping the website's domain name. When switching to my old router the websites work again. I have 1 static IP address and using Windows Server 2008.

Any help is appreciated

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    How are you testing the access? From a computer on the same network as your server, or from a computer on the Internet? Some brands and models of routers might have "loop back" failure when using a computer on your network to access the server by using its public IP address.

EDIT: As of about five years ago, the Netgear DGN3500 did not support loopback. Don't know if Netgear ever changed it in more recent firmware.
    http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=49737

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  3. fk-wholesale-ltd

My websites are working on a mobile browser. Everything worked fine when using the web server with Netgear DG834G and this is quite similar to Netgear DGN3500. Is there no way to fix this issue?

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    As far as I can tell, the Netgear DG834G, with recent firmware, supports NAT Loopback.
    http://www.nikrivers.com/2009/10/26/netgear-dg834g-and-nat-loopback/

A quick Internet search has not found similar information about recent firmware for the Netgear DGN3500 supporting NAT loopback. If you wish to access your server while using the Netgear DGN3500, from a device on the same LAN, you will need to access it via its local IP Address on the LAN.

5. fk-wholesale-ltd

I've tried editing the hosts file although this is not working. I have a DNS server installed. Not sure how to setup the DNS with NAT loopback.

I've edited the iptables on the router using the below code. The webserver is working but now every thing else in the www is not working.

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -d 192.168.0.3 -s 192.168.0.0/24 -j SNAT --to-source 192.168.0.1

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    The information in your last post is way over my head. Maybe someone else here can help beyond this point.

7. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I'm confused with Chuck as well.

Why are you doing iptables? Based on your post, it looked like you were running your web server (IIS) on a Windows Server box. Your inference about iptables in your recent post implies the webserver is possibly an Apache server on a Linux box.

Anyways, you don't need to do anything to any firewall you're running on the server. This issues is strictly your edge router's issue. You need to contact Netgear support to figure out if the router is working as designed. Not all routers support loop back. I was/am working on a beta firewall product that doesn't seem to have loop back working correctly. Due to another issue I encountered with the beta code on this firewall, I had to switch back to my "old" firewall I was using before switching to this beta hardware for testing.

8. fk-wholesale-ltd

The link Chuck has posted (http://www.nikrivers.com/2009/10/26/netgear-dg834g-and-nat-loopback/) mentions a workaround to solving the NAT loopback issue by telnetting into the router and adding an additional entry to the router’s iptables. I've tried the code again I mentioned above and everything is working now.

Another workaround is to edit the hosts file. I would prefer to do this since you have to change the iptables every time the router is restarted. I've added the below IP and domain to the hosts file, ran the nbtstat -R command and restarted the server. The web server is not working. Is there anything else I have to do?

192.168.0.10 fk-accessories.com

9. zx10guy

The host file entry needs to be on any internal client you want to access the web server using the domain name and not on the web server.

10. fk-wholesale-ltd

The client computer on the network has the IP address 192.168.0.2 and the server is on 192.168.0.3
    I've performed the below steps and the web server is still not working. Do I have to add an entry for 192.168.0.10 in IIS or DNS Manager?

(1) I've added 192.168.0.10 fk-accessories.com to the hosts file on the client computer
    (2) Ran nbtstat -R
    (3) Load www.fk-accessories.com in the browser of the clent computer

This is the results after pinging fk-accessories.com

Pinging fk-accessories.com [192.168.0.10] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 192.168.0.2: Destination host unreachable.

11. zx10guy

If you ping by IP address (192.168.0.10), do you get ICMP responses?

12. fk-wholesale-ltd

I'm receiving the "The Destination host unreachable" error when pinging 192.168.0.10

13. zx10guy

Do you have 192.168.0.10 set up as an additional IP on the server? Are other devices able to ping 192.168.0.10? Why are you using a different IP instead of .2?

14. fk-wholesale-ltd

I've changed the hosts file so it's using 192.168.0.2 and I'm able to ping fk-accessories.com now.

I have a local website on the client computer so I've tried stopping the website on IIS. There is a redirect on the server what transfers fk-accessories.com to www.fk-accessories.com. Not sure if this has something to do with it.

15. fk-wholesale-ltd

I'm still unable to view the webserver on the network using hosts file

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148449

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice