1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Website browsing security when using a 3rd party email address

Discussion in 'General Security' started by HelluvaGuy, Jan 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HelluvaGuy

HelluvaGuy Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

I'm an independent consultant with my own laptop but have recently acquired a new client who wishes for me to use their email address (as opposed to my own company's email address) when communicating with customers as if I am an actual employee of this client. If I set the new email address up in my Outlook program, how secure is the information on my laptop? E.g. since the new company email will be communicating via their server, can this company view data on my laptop such as websites visited or even have access to my files?

I hope I have explained this question clearly and would welcome any advice.

Thank you.
    HelluvaGuy.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

By just setting up an email address in Outlook will not enable the client company to do much except send you your emails.

But if you have to join their Domain, then they would have more powers.

3. HelluvaGuy

Thanks for the reply lunarlander. Can I just confirm....are you saying that as long as I don't have to connect to their server (or domain) to access email i.e. I continue to access the internet / email through my own provider, my privacy and laptop data is protected? I was just concerned that when I send email it will go via their server and this would give them access to my laptop content?

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

I think you can have more than 1 email server defined in Outlook. So for your client's email, you connect to their email server. And for your private email, you connect to whichever email server (like your ISP's server) (or gmail )

Joining a domain is an entirely different thing, not email related. It is like a company Workgroup. (if you understand what is a workgroup in a home network scenario ). Except that domains have a server. (like Windows server 2003, Windows server 2008 ) By joining a company domain, your machine can be managed by a Domain Administrator. And he can log into your machine. Typically, a domain joined machine requires you to press CTRL-ALT-DEL to begin login, that is one indicator that you have joined a domain.

5. HelluvaGuy

Thanks for the advice which is appreciated.

6. valis

valis Moderator

Rather key question; why not use webmail and eliminate all questions?

7. HelluvaGuy

Forgive me as I am a complete novice when it comes to IT. Will webmail totally eliminate any privacy / security issues? i.e. no chance to access laptop data or web browsing history?

8. valis

valis Moderator

Nope. You access via the web. Any exchange server should have one. We use that for our crosscompanycontacts. Ask if they have one. Worst they can say is no.

9. HelluvaGuy

Sorry, maybe you misunderstood me. If I access email via webmail (as opposed to Outlook), does this totally protect my privacy / security in that the mail server of my new client will NOT be able to access my web browsing history or files stored on my laptop?

10. valis

valis Moderator

11. HelluvaGuy

12. valis

valis Moderator

no worries.

To give you an email account, they are going to have to get you an AD account. Once you have an AD account, IMO, it is quite a bit more secure to use their OWA than to allow them physical access to your box. Just my opinion, though. Plus it's a TON more convenient for all involved. We use a site in Canada, and once we came to that junction (have the users have to exchange addresses, or just set them up with OWA and let them run), well, those are the kind of meetings I enjoy. Very short.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141498

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice