1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Website building

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by trekguy, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trekguy

trekguy Thread Starter

I have built one website for a non-profit org that I am involved with. I consider myself a novice, and a lot of the stuff in this forum goes over my head... but I have a few questions.

I use Yahoo! Geocities ... it seems to work OK. It's fairly easy to do, and the results are acceptable to everyone in the org. However, it seems that almost every time I do something on the site, it will decide, at some point or another, to NOT save the page I'm working on.... sometimes I have an hour or two into it... and of course, if it doesn't save, all work is gone when I have to shut it down. :mad:

Are there other webhosting/building companies that operate in a similar way to the Yahoo/Geo??

I like the fact the all pages and info are not on my computer, but on Yahoo/Geocities. It seems safer. ???

I am looking into building more sites for other people/businesses... is there a better way to go than Yahoo/Geo??? I don't think I am willing, or able to learn all the code stuff. :eek:

2. namenotfound

namenotfound

You could try Google Pages. It's similar to Geocities in the sense that it's free and is easy for beginners to build a website.

3. MMJ

MMJ Guest

If you are planning to pay than go with a decent host like 1and1.

4. Big-K

Big-K

if you are planning on making sites for businesses of any sort then you want to know how to code.

i'm serious.

5. trekguy

trekguy Thread Starter

I checked out 1&1 briefly... does every page have to start with a template, or can you start one from scratch?

Big-K, why would I need to learn code??

6. Chris_E

Chris_E

Trek-Guy

I suspect the problem you are experiencing is the remote server timing out on your session.

If you use an application such as Dreamweaver or Frontpage, you might be familiar with the concept of creating the site locally on your machine and then saving the pages and uploading them to the ISP using the embedded FTP application that these apps have.

If you are editing directly on the ISP's server and are logged in for (as you say) an hour or two, then your session may have expired.

If you have to do it this way, why not make a copy of the page you are working on, edit and save every few minutes and, when you are happy with it, replace the original page with your new one with a rename at the same time.

Right direction?

Anon

Chris

7. trekguy

trekguy Thread Starter

You could be right, it does act that is the case, however, I've never seen any info about timing out. :confused: And, it can happen after as little as 10 minutes, sometimes. And yes, I have learned to save often... at least I don't have to redo too much. (y)

So again, are there other web hosts that you would recommend that work in a similar way that Yahoo does???

Also, is there any advantage to using code over drag and drop??? It seems as if it shouldn't matter as long as the content gets on the page???

8. Chris_E

Chris_E

Hi again

I've no experience of other web hosts that behave like Yahoo. Who is your ISP?

Using apps that are 'object oriented' versus those where you might use code (example WebFusion vs Dreamweaver) should give no reason for any difference. At the end of the day, an object based tool simply creates the HTML code for you anyway.

Unless I'm VERY much mistaken!

Chris

9. trekguy

trekguy Thread Starter

That's kind of what I was thinking. Whatever gets the job done sort of thing. I'm wondering if there may be a slight bit of resentment, or whatever, from the folks who have the code writing skills... much like when Windows replaced DOS. Maybe they're ticked that anybody can do it...

So any other recommendations for "drag and drop" style website building places on the 'net??? Doesn't need to be free.... anyone???

Any reasons NOT to go with Yahoo/Geo???

10. Z-Tech

Z-Tech

You could check out www.svydomains.com and check out the "create a website / tell me more" link. -Build it yourself and cost is minimal. Many templates to choose from.
    Good luck,
    Z

11. mchapin9

mchapin9

You can use Dreamweaver or Frontpage to do drag and drop editing offline, then just upload the HTML document to any host. The programs have more options than online editors as well.

12. Big-K

Big-K

its more along the lines of wysiwyg, with the exception of dreamweaver, always turns out lower par visuals and lower par css integration. they just turn out crappy methods.

whatev, though

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542982

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice