1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

website connection problem also

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by sledafor, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sledafor

sledafor Thread Starter

Hi,
    I wanted to connect to a site and tried to do it through firefox on three different computers here at home and firefox came back saying it couldn't find it. Then I went into my paid AOL account and through AOL and its software I able to get onto the site. I then entered my user name and password to get into the member section of the site and now AOL is returning a page saying that the address could not be found. I over to the library and used their computer with internet explorer and had no problem getting into the main site and the members section. I have been reading the previous thread between Nogmor and Phantom101 and see that there are alot of things to look at in terms of problem solving. Does anyone see a clue as to why I can access this site one way and not another and once in the site still not get into the rest of the site? I am not that tech savvy but a friend had me refresh the DNS resolver cache and things did not improve. I have no problems with any other sites. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this site is the only site I can use for a specific project. Thanks, Sledafor

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi sledafor, and welcome to TSG.

It might make it a lot easier for us to work on the problem if you told us the URL of the web site.

3. sledafor

sledafor Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome cwwozniak! The url is www.mediatraffic.com and not being tech savvy but somewhat desperate to get onto this site to finish a project I uplugged the lynksys router from the motorola dsl modem and plugged one of the computers into the dsl modem directly and I was able to totally connect with the site and also get into the members area going through firefox. Since I did this
    immediately after starting my thread I haven't been back here because i've been beavering away here non stop on my project because I am way behind. It appears that some kind of work needs to be done on the router or is it more than that? Thanks for getting back to this.

sledafor

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    For starters, I was able to open the www.mediatraffic.com site with Firefox on my computer with no problem. I was able to look around a bit but did attempt not to register.

I am going to need you to run some tests when you have time away from your project. I usually check threads new replies for about 2-3 weeks since the last post in the thread.

First connect the computer back to the router and select Tools ->Options from the Firefox menu bar. Select the Advanced tab and clear the offline contents. The check to if you can visit other sites OK and the www.mediatraffic.com site still does not load.

If the problem still exists, open the DOS / Command Prompt screen (typically in Accessories on the Windows Start menu. Enter IPCONFIG /ALL and wait for the results. Then enter TRACERT www.mediatraffic.com and wait for the results (either an error message or trace complete message). Mark and copy the results of both tests to the clipboard. Start the Notepad application and paste the clipboard contents into the blank Notepad document. Save the document as a text file, using a name and location you will be able to find a bit later.

Then switch the computer to a direct connection to the modem. Repeat clearing the Firefox offline contents. Confirm that you can connect to the www.mediatraffic.com and other sites with no problem.

Run the IPCONFIG /ALL and TRACERT tests again. Copy the test results to the clipboard.

Get back to this thread and start a new reply. Paste the clipboard contents into your reply. Then copy the contents of the Notepad file and add them to the post as well. Be sure to identify which results are for the modem connection and which are for the router connection.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919655

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice