website help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

xMikex

Hi,

On my site right now there is an area of the site to listen to messages. Well my problem is that when you click messages it opens up another page with the quicktime logo and then starts to play only about 10 secs of the messages and then stops and then i have to hit back on my browser then click the message again for it to actually play the whole thing.

What i want to happen when someone clicks the message? I would like it to open up Windows Media Player. Is there a way for me to do this preferably without messing with the source code. I am using Adobe Golive to build my site.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

Mike

save the audio file as .wma (or video as .wmv)

Different formats will open in that format's default player. You're probably using a format that opens quicktime.

xMikex

namenotfound said:
save the audio file as .wma (or video as .wmv)

Different formats will open in that format's default player. You're probably using a format that opens quicktime.

Ok i did that and it works just the way i want it but on my laptop instead of just opening up windows media player it starts downloading it.....??

xMikex

xMikex said:
Ok i did that and it works just the way i want it but on my laptop instead of just opening up windows media player it starts downloading it.....??

I wasnt clear it starts downloading the audio not windows media player

Well, it all depends on how the computer is set up. In Firefox, you can tell Firefox to download video/audio files instead of viewing them. I don't think there is a way to prevent this.

You could, however, set up some code so that the file plays in Windows Media Player right on the web page. This would probably be the best solution for what you're looking for.

Use this code:
HTML:
<EMBED src="NAME.wma" border="0">
That should work.

Eriksrocks said:
Well, it all depends on how the computer is set up. In Firefox, you can tell Firefox to download video/audio files instead of viewing them. I don't think there is a way to prevent this.

You could, however, set up some code so that the file plays in Windows Media Player right on the web page. This would probably be the best solution for what you're looking for.

Use this code:
HTML:
That should work.
<embed> doesn't work in all browsers, so it should be wraped in the <object> tag.

That way the browsers that can read the <object> tag will use it, and the ones that don't wil fallback to using the <embed> tag.

Using both tags increase the chance of the file working in several different browsers.

xMikex

namenotfound said:
<embed> doesn't work in all browsers, so it should be wraped in the <object> tag.

That way the browsers that can read the <object> tag will use it, and the ones that don't wil fallback to using the <embed> tag.

Using both tags increase the chance of the file working in several different browsers.
How would i add that in golive just copy and past it into the source code of my page
because i have it set up where i have a page with a bunch of links to each audio file so if i just put it in that page will it apply to all of them?

namenotfound said:

Smart thinking. (y)

To xMikex:
You should create an individual page for each sound file, and then place the code on each one with the appropriate file name.

The new code you should use is this:

HTML:
<object
classid="clsid:22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95">
<param name="FileName" value="NAME.wma" />
</object>

xMikex

Eriksrocks said:
Smart thinking. (y)

To xMikex:
You should create an individual page for each sound file, and then place the code on each one with the appropriate file name.

The new code you should use is this:

HTML:
<object
classid="clsid:22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95">
<param name="FileName" value="NAME.wma" />
</object>

Great thank you Ill report back if i have any problems

xMikex

xMikex said:
Great thank you Ill report back if i have any problems
Ok i have a couple problems first the media player box is in the top left corner what do i do to put it in the middle? O and when i inserted the code the <embed> part of the code is red....

xMikex

xMikex said:
Ok i have a couple problems first the media player box is in the top left corner what do i do to put it in the middle? O and when i inserted the code the <embed> part of the code is red....

I fixed the red code figured out what i inserted wrong but now heres the weird thing the embedded stuff works great my audio works perfectly on firefox but not IE....i see the WMP box and everything but it doesnt play the sound

xMikex

xMikex said:
I fixed the red code figured out what i inserted wrong but now heres the weird thing the embedded stuff works great my audio works perfectly on firefox but not IE....i see the WMP box and everything but it doesnt play the sound

anyone have a solution to the IE compatibility problem because it should work better in IE as oppossed to firefox

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online