Website images on laptop don't look right

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nietsloh

Here's the deal. I'm helping a friend clean up his laptop performance and I noticed that a lot of website images (site logos, icons, etc.) and some Windows icons (like on the Quick Launch bar) are looking choppy. He's got a 6-month old Dell widescreen. I checked the settings for the screen and all look fine. I even decreased the screen size (down to a more standard monitor size) and they still look funky.

Here's what I mean. This image is a screenshot on my notebook:

And this is how it looks on Dell widescreen:

What's the deal?

This might help.

Check and see if he is using some sort of internet accelerator. Internet accerators have that effect on images as they reduce resolution, but from what I understand they have the option to view an individual page at full resolution.

nietsloh

Thanks. No accelerator.

When I look at his screen, it appears everything is larger. His resolution is set to its highest, but it appears Windows is taking smaller images and forcing them to a larger size.

It's probably some weird Windows setting buried deep within Control Panel. If I were him/you, I would back up all of the files and reinstall Windows.

EDIT: Before you do, however, I would try to reset the desktop theme and make sure that all accessibility options are turned off (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Accessibility).

Sorry didin't see the duplicate thread. Have been busy playing with the embroidery sewing machine that hooks to the computer Santa brought me.

If it is only 6 months old take advantage of the warranty from dell. My friends dell just died at 1yr. 1 month and dell wouldn't help because she was just over the 1yr. At least make yourself known to dell that way if there are more problems down the road you have stuff on file.

Actually, the issues don't reside in the OS installation gone bad. They don't involve an accelerator. The key is what you mentioned from the get go, "WIDESCREEN".

A widescreen uses different resolutions. Those resolutions, stretch the images. It is a real problem for web developers as I am trying to find a way to get around this without using duplicate images for different resolutions.

As for your friend, check if their laptop can be switched to 1280 x 720. To change this, right click on the desktop (not on an icon), then click on Properties. Click the settings tab and near the bottom you'll see the resolution its set on. Change it to the before mentioned resolution. That is the resolution size that will retain the pixel aspect ratio for the images.

Now if anyone out there reading this has come up with a way to resolve the images stretching without switching resolutions or creating duplicate images, please post a reply.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online