1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Website in javascript, works fine under Netscape, wierd problem w/Explorer

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by antiquetennis, Sep 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. antiquetennis

antiquetennis Thread Starter

Hi, Struggling with some odd behavior on my website under Explorer, but works fine under Netscape. From my home page:

tabletennismuseum.com

when a section is selected from the pulldown menu at the bottom, it begins on a fresh screen under Netscape (as its supposed to), but under Explorer, no fresh screen, and the viewer has to scroll down below the home page! Subsequent section selections work fine under both - its just the first selection under Explorer that problem occurs.
    a setUp function is called in each section to activate the section page. In that function is a statement: parent.frames[0].document.clear()
    which presumably begins the fresh screen ...
    How can I brute force Explorer to begin the first selected section on a fresh screen?
    Thanks for any help - it is driving me nuts! Feel like I am developing a videotape that must work under Betamax and VHS ! Learning as I go ...
    antiquetennis

2. Cozz

Cozz

Hi,
    I had a look at the site and couldn't see the problem. Every link I clicked on changed the top frame. I'm using IE 5.5. Could it be a problem in earlier versions?

3. Davey7549

Davey7549

Cozz
    I'm running 5.5.4522.1800 SP1 with other fixes and the problem exists for me. When you go to the page and click on the select the section script then select the gems item immediately below the upper image remains the same. Then if you select another just below the image will change and all selections after that will be fine including the gem line item.
    I'm just learning Java so I'm not much help to antiquetennis at this time.
    Dave

4. Cozz

Cozz

Right I pressed the selection, pressed the gems. Then I get the slide show in the second frame and the other menu remains the same. Oh hang on, I now see what you mean, that the pic in the first frame remains the same. Then again, there isn't anywhere for it to go to, as you have to select one of the silde shows first, before it changes the picture. Yup, when I press the back button, it tells me that this is the first slide so it has nowhere to go to. I'm no wizard at java either. Maybe some kind wiz could have a shifty!

5. antiquetennis

Thanks for taking a look guys. Very strange that it works fine under Netscape, but under Explorer you have to scroll down to get any section selected for the first time after home page is activated (and works fine for any section selected thereafter!?)

I think all I need is one instruction at the beginning of my setUp code to force the writing to begin at the top of a fresh screen. Does anyone have a javascript guide (or link to one) for Explorer environment?

6. Davey7549

Davey7549

Chas
    Heres a site I have been referencing while I'm learning. It may have an answer for you. click here
    Dave

7. antiquetennis

My brilliant ISP guy steered me to the solution without even looking at any code! He said it might be that the home page code was not closing frame[0], causing the first section to be selected to continue where the home page ended on the screen.

I dove into the code and added:

parent.frames[0].document.close();

at the end of the home page text writes ... and sure enough that fixed the problem!

As to why this behavior occurred under Explorer but not Netscape, my ISP guy said because Explorer is more tied to the operating system ...

A humbling learning experience ...

Thanks for taking a look ...

8. Davey7549

Davey7549

Chas
    No need to thank because we all learned from your experience.
    What you did now makes sense, hindsite 20x20! Closing the first frame after write allowed the code to write before another close was required similiar to an end if after condition met.
    Dave

9. dseventoes

dseventoes

:confused: i've tried several suggestions from aol tech still problem exsist every time i try to play games at pogo site loads when i begin to play error mess:appears then i click on details this is what it says msjava.dll at 0167:7a9aaesa then shuts me down .

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/52816

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice