1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Website not accessible

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by nedmac, Sep 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nedmac

nedmac Thread Starter

Can anyone explain what this problem might be? When dialing into a certain POP of my ISP, I cannot access a certain website (www.vegsource.com) I get a "Page cannot be displayed". And i can access all other websites with no problem. However, if I dial into a different POP with the same ISP(which happens to be long distance) I can access the site no problem. I can also access it from other ISPs as well.
    Of course my ISP tells me it is not their issue, they say it could be a routing issue with my local carrier.
    Any ideas of whose problem this is or why it would happen with only one website?
    Thanks

2. jnibori

jnibori

This is a long shot, and actually I don't think it's applicable in your case....but here:

http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html

"If you put the wrong server into your hosts file, it may mean that certain websites will no longer be viewable as they normally would be. To remedy this, remove the entry of the site you wish to unblock from your hosts file.

Computers have a host address of their own - it is known as the "localhost" address, with an IP address of 127.0.0.1 which it uses to refer to itself. If you associate another computer's host name with your localhost IP address, you have effectively blocked that host since all attempts to access it will lead back to you. That is how we will block sites using the Hosts file. We will tell our computer that the IP address of the site we want to block is our own address. That way, our computer will not ever leave and go looking for the site we are blocking - which keeps that site from appearing because the computer thinks it has found the site and displayed it already."

3. nedmac

nedmac Thread Starter

I dont think that is it, one thing I failed to mention, is that the ISP was able to duplicate it on their end. If they dial in to my local pop, they cannot access that site, but can access all others. But any other pop the dial into, they can access it no problem.
    Any other ideas. This may just be a lost cause

4. Corrosive

Corrosive

Why don't you think it's the case? It's a perfectly valid point and unless you can disprove it, I'd also be inclined to blame it.

5. jnibori

jnibori

If the question was for me, because of this part of nedmac's statement:

I don't think he/she would be able to access the site at all.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167851

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice