Website redirect does not get thru to webserver software

christhebuddist

My website has a redirect link that sends the visitors from our hosted website over to our inhouse file server. If the visitor is off site, I mean physically not in the building here within our local LAN, the redirect works fine. If the visitor is in our LAN the redirect just times-out after a few minutes. I have opened ports on the firewall, set static DNS, turned off all firewall settings and nothing has worked. Do you have any ideas?

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Without understanding the entire flow of how the redirect is working, my initial guess would be a loopback problem with your firewall. Not many firewalls work well when a network session is initiated to an external link from an internal client that is resolved back to an internal server.

christhebuddist

Hi, that sounds about right. The redirect is just a link on a sub-page that sends user to a second domain hosted locally here. Any suggestions on a router/firewall that is robust enough?
So this website had worked for years. A month ago all redirects failed local and outside. I could not get into the old firewall so replaced it, opened the "regular" ports and it worked, but only for the off site users. The original documentation is nowhere to be found. Currently using a Comcast cable modem/router and its built-in firewall software.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
What was your old firewall?

Definitely using the Comcast supplied gateway will break what you had set up prior.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Why not purchase another Ubiquiti gateway?

I used to recommend Netgear's SMB line of firewalls as I know I've personally tested loopback on their devices. But it appears Netgear has significantly shrunk their ProSafe SMB line of firewalls to only a single product. Makes me wonder if they're exiting out of the SMB firewall space.

christhebuddist

I am closer to the goal. Found links regarding hairpin NAT. Seems exactly what is happening. NOw to create rules/filters to fix it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online