1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Websites Jumping to Google

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by kermich03, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kermich03

kermich03 Thread Starter

Hey There,

I have a new laptop installed with Windows 7. I'm posting this question in this category because I suspect that Windows 7 is the culprit behind the problem. For certain websites, when I enter the address into the address field, instead of going to that site, Internet Explorer just jumps to Google. The website I'm specifically having a problem with is www.thestranger.com. It doesn't, however, do it every time. It only does it about half the time. I tried using Mozilla, thinking that IE was the problem, but the site still jumped to Google. I have a desktop pc with Windows XP and I don't have this problem when I use it to go to the same websites.

Also, sometimes, instead of a website jumping to Google, it jumps to a Wikipedia page that says "Wiki not Found."

Any idea what the problem is? It's very annoying. Could sure use your help!

Thanks!

2. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

I don't know about you, but my ISP here has taken to intercepting 403 returns from websites (page/file not found...you'll get these sometimes spuriously due to network conditions) and responding by putting up their own search page.

Irritates the hell out of me; if I make a typo, the URI I typed in gets wiped out by their search page URI and I then have to retype the whole URI rather than just fix the typo.

However, the effect is the same as the effect you are seeing.

I don't have enough information to know for sure, but I would guess you have a setting someplace that directs you to google if a page or part of a page is not found in a timely fashion. I don't know if IE8 will do that, or if your upstream provider is doing that, but I'm betting it is something like that.

If you check with internettrafficreport.com, you'll see that the internet has lately been showing a lot of dropped packets and long wait times for many, many paths. I know I'm experiencing a lot of problems here, which all trace to locations well outside of this location.

So, a combination of dropped network packets, and some setting (or some "helpful" ISP) leads to what you see.

3. antech

antech Banned

It can be the DNS.
    Are you using the DNS provided by google.
    Search google for thestranger.com
    Can you visit the website from there?

4. JPLamb

JPLamb

could you accidently be typing in the search box? this could explain why you are sometimes going to wiki and google sites.

??

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921175

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice