1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Websites saying I'm in Canada but I'm not

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Sunshine27, Nov 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sunshine27

Sunshine27 Thread Starter

Hello, several websites keep saying I'm located in Canada when I'm in the United States and have never been to Canada. I wouldn't mind except several sites won't let me order or sign up for items because they state I'm not in the US and I'm not given an option to change my location on some of the sites. I did contact my internet provider and they said well looks like you're due for a new internet modem so they sent me one but that didn't fix this issue. I also googled but didn't understand the results. Thank you for any advice you can provide me.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What type (cable, DSL, satellite, etc.) do you have?

Are you located close to Canada?

What sites are giving the wrong info? https://whatismyipaddress.com/ shows you in the USA.

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  4. TheMadEye

TheMadEye

I wish the following works:
    Type Google Search at the top
    Below the the search bar, click on Settings>Advanced Search.
    in the tab "Region", check if it is Canada. change it to US.

5. Sunshine27

Cable internet. Not close to Canada. Websites like Lowes, Dominos Pizza sites like that let me change back to the USA I have to change it every time I go to those sites. There are a few sites that doesn't give an option to change it keeps saying offers aren't available to those outside the USA.

6. Sunshine27

Ok I checked out this and the link it says to check IP puts me in Canada but the link in the reply above shows I'm in Tennessee which is correct. How can the same IP show different locations? I'm not very tech savy I will call my internet company again and see what they say about this. Thank you every one for trying to help me fix this.

7. Sunshine27

Just got off the phone with the internet provider they said there isn't anything that can be done. They said disconnect my internet for 24 hours to see if that fixes it. Seems odd they can't fix it. I just started having this issue a few weeks ago and I've had the same provider over 10 years.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    There are several services/websites (such as whatismyipaddress) that can be used to determine the approximate location of an IP address. Some of these seem to be frequently wrong, some extremely wrong such as the one that shows you in Canada.

About all you can do is to contact the companies with which you are having trouble and try to get them to use a different service (I have found whatismyipaddress to be mostly correct) or to over-ride their system to make an exception for you. I managed to get MLB.com to do something special for me ('cause they were saying I was in MO instead of IL).

Different services have different data bases and probably none of them are 100% correct and up-to-date.

Your ISP has nothing to do with it (unless they also run an IP location service and don't know their own location!).

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218715

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice