Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Websites won't open

2K views 24 replies 5 participants last post by  bonniejack 
#1 ·
My computer downloaded the Microsoft Service Pack 2 and now I can't open websites on my computer. Has anyone else ran into this problem? If so, how did you resolve it? I run a virus scan with Norton every day and have Zone Alarm as a firewall as well as other virus programs from my local Cox internet carrier and all tell me I don't have a virus of any kind---------so is it the download of the Service Pack? HELP please.

#2 ·
You have a couple of options. One you could uninstall service pack 2 til they get the bugs out. The second option is that they have posted a bunch of fixes at the windows updates site for many of the bugs they have found with the sp2 update. You could check there for the fix - it seems that we have seen quite a few posts with the same complaint and there is a fix at the update site...doc

#4 ·
doubt it. you should not let XP auto update itself. I don't run anything on autoupdate except the most important program on my computer - the antivirus. everything else i update weekly - which reminds me to run it.

if you want to make sure it isn't spyware - download hijack this from the below link and install it to its own folder. run it, save it to a notepad and then copy and paste your results to the thread. someone will look at it and let you know if it is OK...doc

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

#6 ·
Oh I just forgot----I can't open websites so I can't do the spyware check---hmmm I guess I'll take off the service pack and then try the spyware website. Maybe that will let me open websites again and I can then be at peace that I don't have spyware on top of it all. I send websites from my computer to my husband's computer right now as I can open at his----that is where I'm typing from right now.

#7 ·
I'm back and did the spy bouncer.com and it opened on my computer and my husband's computer. I ran scans and detected 313 on my computer and 208 on my husband's computer. Sooo I purchased the removal tool and cleaned it out. Now I think I will try and figure out how to uninstall the Service Pack 2 from Microsoft on my computer and maybe I'll be back in business. Thanks a million for your help. I'm never afraid to look for help and always appreciate it when I find it.

#8 ·
physician said:
You have a couple of options. One you could uninstall service pack 2 til they get the bugs out. The second option is that they have posted a bunch of fixes at the windows updates site for many of the bugs they have found with the sp2 update. You could check there for the fix - it seems that we have seen quite a few posts with the same complaint and there is a fix at the update site...doc
hi physician

I went to the MSFT site and I searched for SP2 updates - no hits on that. Is it good for us to just install SP4? I have been having the same problems and I have realized that these problems started at about the same time that I installed SP2!!

If not do you have a link for the updates for SP2? Is there a good reason for those of us running WIN 2000 PRO NOT to install SP4 (i.e. also buggy?)

I'm off to see if I can find those SP2 updates.

thanks Nik

#9 ·
I love Microsoft

Here's what I found out -

Q. What is the procedure for uninstalling Windows 2000 SP2?

A.

This Service Pack contains an uninstall feature that you can use to restore a computer to its previous state. When you run the Update.exe program to install the Service Pack, a subfolder named $ntservicepackuninstall$ is created in your %windir% folder.
You can uninstall the Service Pack by using Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel or by running the uninstall program from the command prompt.

Important Service Packs that have been installed using the integrated installation method cannot be uninstalled.

so I tried to copy and paste $ntservicepackuninstall$

into the run box and hit enter. What appears has no meaning for someone like me. Did I use the 'integrated installation method' to install SP2? I have no idea!! I certainly wasn't prompted to choose between two methods, one which would make uninstallation impossible!!

There is nothing in Add/Remove programs which will allow me to uninstall SP2.

Can I install SP4 over SP2?

#11 ·
maxmelbin said:
this folder is in C:\windows .. $ntservicepackuninstall$
make sure u can view all hidden and protected files ..
under this folder u have another folder sp2uninstall .. within that folder u have an uninstall file .. sp2uninstall.exe .. double click and enjoy
Max, you had my hopes up there for a minute :)

I found the folder

C:\WINNT\$NtServicePackUninstall$

Is this the one? There are a bunch of files in there. But there is NOTHING called sp2uninstall...

There is one caled SP2 - the icon is 3 documents bound by a yellow ribbon... when I click this, I get the 'Security catalogue'.

If you are still around and want to help, that would be GREAT!! I fell like I am finally close to solving this problem that has been driving me nuts for 2 months!!

I stress - I AM USING WIN 2000 PRO

#13 ·
Yes , issues we r discussing here is actually for Windows Xp SP2 , there is no issues with 2K service packs , there is upto SP4 for 2k ..

and i apologise i dint notice that u r using Win2K

u can install all sp's upto 4 for 2k , i havent heard any issues with that yet ...

#14 ·
I did the spyware thing and every single time I scan I get over a 100 to 200 hits of spyware being present. I get lots of spam that goes directly to a folder and I delete it almost daily. How can it be possible to get that much spyware that I need to delete every single day?? It would have to be coming in on every single piece of personal email plus spam that I get in a day and I don't get 200 plus everyday??? Then it excludes things I don't want excluded---------and this just gets more confusing to me. Website address I had stored for future use were deleted and everytime I try and open them they say the were deleted because they were suspicious---------80 % of them are rose related websites---------I grow over 500 roses in my yard and I'm very active in rose societies etc. I can't believe my rose connections wouldn't be suspicious?? Any direction here would be appreciated.

#15 ·
http://forums.techguy.org/t110854.html This is a link to Rollin Rogs Security help tools All tool there are free and will not add spyware/malware to your system . Recommended is Ad-Aware Se , Spy-Bot Search and Destroy and Spyware Blaster as a minimum . Download update and use them as directed at this site . Also do an on line scan using Panda Active Scan or one of your choice from Rollin Rogs site . Also ----http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130&product=windowsxpsp2 Go to this site and compare what you have on your computer with this Microsoft list of conflicting programs If you have any conflicting programs look for updates . If this does not clear up the problem remove SP2 . This has worked for others . Good Luck

#16 ·
You might need to go ahead and get the spybot 1.3 and adaware SE. They are the two best tools your spyware removal that you can get and both are free. If you search the net, you will find many positive reviews about these two. Both are removal tools and spybot has a little feature that you can turn on called immunize that is also a blocking tool. Another feature of spybot that you can use is teatimer that prevents spyware from writing to your registry. Dust has given you the link in his post. Another thing, for internet explorer you can download IE Spyads that blocks spyware and use the google toolbar - it blocks popups. The new SP2 has a feature for Explorerer where you can set it so that it deletes cookies when you close your browser which would also help you spyware problem...doc

#18 ·
Should I remove the Spy Bouncer program I paid for?? I got a CD in the mail from them that I also paid for that says it removes Worms, Trojans, Hijackers, Adware, Spyware, and Malware. I assume I am to download it but it came with no instructions. I'm afraid I'm making this all worse---------something removed websites I had handy for various things and I don't know if it was Spy Bouncer or the Service Pack update.

#19 ·
Shut Down your SPY BOUNCER if you can or if you have a CD to install it just remove it for now . Go to Rollin Rogs site as mentioned earlier and download Ad-Aware SE , Spy Bot Search and Destroy , and Spyware Blaster for now . Install and setup as the tutorials direct . Do a scan . Fix/Quarantine anything these programs pick up . Come back here after you have done this and let us know how things are now .and someone will be here to assist you Good Luck

#21 ·
Hello Bonniejack I would suggest not installing anything other than what has been suggested on postings here until your computer is working normally again . I do not know anything about Spy Bouncer but will try to find out more about it . If you install it it may just add to the problem . Use Adaware SE and Spy Bot Search and Destroy . as well as Spyware Blaster . They are free programs and will help clean your system and keep it clean . When you have done this please come back and let us know how things are working for you . If it has helped you , it will help us to assist others with like problems .

#22 ·
Hello Bonnie Jack I did a free scan with Spy Bouncer and it came up with something like 140 problems that it would not remove unless I registered. I scanned right away with Spy Bot Search and Destroy and it found one item. I scanned again with Ad-Aware SE and I have a clean computer . I know you paid for Spy Bouncer but please do not use it as it will almost certainly add to your problem . What you use after the situation is back to normal is up to you The free programs as, I suggested , from Rollin Rogs Security tools can be trusted to clean up your computer .

#23 ·
I'm doing a Panda Scan and it's showing some infected files and last time I ran this scan it could NOT disinfect some of them. I'm anxious for this to finish and see what it says. I'm going to figure out how to un install Spy Bouncer and go from there. At least when I installed the Spy Bouncer and deleted what it said to delete I could open websites again?? So it did something good. I've copied all your advice and tomorrow will start from square one and see if I can resolve these things. I'm a self taught computer user and very active for the last five years. I'm not afraid to try things and have been pretty lucky so far---anything I messed up my daughter could fix so far. But these things that are happening now aren't from me goofing off and playing with things---------it's something else and I just hope I can truly figure it out. Thank you again for your help and I'm going to do my best to follow everything you say to the letter. If it works----------I owe you one :)

#25 ·
I wondered where you went------------don't worry I'm self taught but I was taught NOT to go removing things without knowing what I was doing. I'm going to do what Dust Sailor suggets which I assume you must agree with or you would have halted me in the message you just sent :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.