1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Weeklong internet loss

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Listaya, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Listaya

Listaya Thread Starter

For the next week I am house sitting. All open wireless signals are far too weak to reliably connect to. they all drop out every two minutes or so. The people I am house sitting for seem to have a hardwired connection, but connecting it to my laptop does not work. I am pretty computer savvy, but very internet illiterate. I want to know if there's anything that I can do to access the internet reliably for this week, as I don't work at all and can't stand TV.

I have a Dell Inspiron 6400, a few years old, Windows XP.

(If this is an incredibly stupid question, I apologize in advanced. I just don't want to stare at a wall for a week.)

Thanks for any help.

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    Did you discuss internet access with the owners when you took on this house-sitting for them? Do you have a contact phone number you could use to see if they can advise you how to use their hardwired connection?

Richard

3. Listaya

Listaya Thread Starter

They are old and had someone else set up their internet for them. Thy would tell me less than what I already tried.

4. 1002richards

OK .... is that "someone else" contactable? Also ... how are you accessing the internet to contact this site?

5. Listaya

Listaya Thread Starter

No, it would be whoever they subscribe internet from. I am connected to an unsecured neighbor's internet a few moments at a time.

6. 1002richards

How far are you from walking / driving to free wifi spots during the day?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    They could tell you whether or not they approve of you using their internet service. I expect that if they trust you with their house they will trust you with their internet, but I would certainly feel more comfortable helping if I knew that they had given their OK and whether they had given you any restrictions (such as download limits).

What is the brand and model or the modem? And of the router, if any?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914600

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice