1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Weird 98 Problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by tut2234, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tut2234

tut2234 Thread Starter

This one may (Hopefully not) throw some of you for a loop, but I've never seen this happen before. Okay here's the situation.

I've re-installed Windows 98 se on my bosses computer after a quick format. The thing was running like "molasses in the wintertime". All Installation and driver installs went fine.....except one! The video card driver. His computer uses an ATI Radeon 7000 series driver, which I've successfully installed. However, Windows keeps saying it's found new hardware (the Generic VGA Driver). The system uses the Radeon system just fine, but the New Hardware wizard has to be cancelled everytime the computer is booted and it gets to be a major annoyance. Any ideas on a quick, easy fix would be appreciated.

2. rebelmusic

rebelmusic

Is it possible theres an onboard graphics card on the computer. Check the back of the machines and look at the port where you plug in the monitor. If you can see another one of these somewhere else on the back then the machine has two graphics cards. Come back here if thats the case

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Is it possible that there is another, onboard video? If so, you may be able to disable it in the BIOS setup, or just install it and then disable it in Device Manager.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Great minds....

5. tut2234

tut2234 Thread Starter

It's a Compaq Presario (Older), but I don't recall seeing a second Video Port in the machine, I'll look into that tomorrow at work and let you know. Thanks!

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Even if there is no port, letting it install and disabling it, if it works, will solve the problem at least until you can track it down in more detail. Or it may be a satisfactory solution. Though unlikely, it's possible that some other device is being recognized as a video card. Are the mainboard drivers, if needed, installed?

7. rebelmusic

rebelmusic

8. tut2234

tut2234 Thread Starter

I let it install then disabled it in hardware profiles. That seems to have done the trick. Thanks.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327973

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice