1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

weird behavior

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by clenny, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. clenny

clenny Thread Starter

I'm experiencing weird behavior on my PC. For example, I want to uninstall Norton so I can try out some different software but when I go to add/remove programs, the list never populates. I've just got a blank screen so i can't uninstall the program. This also occurs when i choose the Program Files folder. It's like the folders are invisible. I already checked the preferences aren't set to hide the folders, that option is unchecked. I downloaded that last patch from Microscofy to protect myself from their latest flaw and i get this crap. Right after I restarted my machine I got some blue screen and a message telling me I needed to go to some web site and update my BIOS. Then when I got out of that and rebooted i got the check disk. Any ideas. Should I chunk this one and buy another. Not really an option because I'm seriously underemployed and strapped for cash right now.

2. Mithrilhall

Mithrilhall

Go to the start menu and choose Run.

Type "cmd" without the quotes and hit enter.

Now to do this next step you'll need your Windows disk in the CD drive.

At the command prompt type "sfc /scannow" without the quotes.
    This might help but no guarantee.

3. clenny

clenny Thread Starter

Just joking, but seriously i don't have the disk. I bought this thing secondhand from an office over in Virginia. I'll have to contact them and see if I can get ahold of the disk. absent that, is there anything else I could try?

4. Cookies

Cookies

If you suspect the patch is the issue, try uinstalling the patch. You might need to boot to safe mode to do this. Reboot when done.

If that fails, you might try to restore.

5. $teve

$teve

if all else fails:

go to http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/ , and download 'Hijack This!'.
    Unzip, doubleclick HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log" button.
    Press that, save the log somewhere, and please copy & paste its contents to the forum.

It will possibly show issues deserving our attention, but most of what it lists will be harmless or even required, so do NOT fix anything yet.
    Someone here will be happy to help you analyze the results.

6. clenny

clenny Thread Starter

I'll do that as soon as they get the power turned back on over here in Maryland. Going on three days in the dark. Oh well, I'll post with the info as soon as I can.

7. clenny

clenny Thread Starter

Well, I've got power now so here are the results of the scan:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.2
    Scan saved at 10:44:08 PM, on 9/21/2003
    Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
    C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\hidserv.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Iomega\System32\AppServices.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NPROTECT.EXE
    C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
    C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADService.exe
    C:\WINNT\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SymTray.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Adaptec\DirectCD\directcd.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\pctspk.exe
    C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe
    C:\Program Files\Winamp\Winampa.exe
    C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\wjview.exe
    C:\WINNT\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb04.exe
    C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADUserMon.exe
    C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\ImgIcon.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Adaptec\EASYCD~1\CreateCD\CreateCD.exe
    C:\WINNT\system32\internat.exe
    C:\Program Files\Netscape\Netscape\Netscp.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFree.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton CleanSweep\csinsmnt.exe
    C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zonealarm.exe
    C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\SYSDOC32.EXE
    C:\WINNT\system32\ntvdm.exe
    C:\Program Files\LimeShop\LimeShop.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.startup.homepage", "http://home.netscape.com/bookmark/7_0/home.html"); (C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\i3i2gv40.slt\prefs.js)
    N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.search.defaultengine", "engine://C%3A%5CProgram%20Files%5CNetscape%5CNetscape%5Csearchplugins%5CSBWeb_01.src"); (C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\i3i2gv40.slt\prefs.js)
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
    O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton SystemWorks\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adaptec DirectCD] C:\PROGRA~1\Adaptec\DirectCD\directcd.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCTVOICE] pctspk.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RealTray] C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] "C:\Program Files\Winamp\Winampa.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LimeShop] wjview /cp:p "C:\Program Files\LimeShop\System\Code" Main lp: "C:\Program Files\LimeShop"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINNT\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb04.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccRegVfy] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SymTray - Norton SystemWorks] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SymTray.exe SetReg
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ADUserMon] C:\Program Files\Iomega\AutoDisk\ADUserMon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Iomega Drive Icons] C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\ImgIcon.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Deskup] C:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\deskup.exe /IMGSTART
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CreateCD] C:\PROGRA~1\Adaptec\EASYCD~1\CreateCD\CreateCD.exe -r
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [internat.exe] internat.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Mozilla Quick Launch] "C:\Program Files\Netscape\Netscape\Netscp.exe" -turbo
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PopUpStopperFreeEdition] "C:\PROGRA~1\PANICW~1\POP-UP~1\PSFree.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [SymTray - Norton SystemWorks] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Symtrdr.exe
    O4 - Startup: Norton Disk Doctor.lnk = Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\NDD32.EXE
    O4 - Startup: Norton System Doctor.lnk = Norton SystemWorks\Norton Utilities\SYSDOC32.EXE
    O4 - Global Startup: CleanSweep Smart Sweep-Internet Sweep.lnk = Norton SystemWorks\Norton CleanSweep\csinsmnt.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
    O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
    O4 - Global Startup: ZoneAlarm.lnk = C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zonealarm.exe
    O8 - Extra context menu item: LimeShop Preferences - file://C:\Program Files\LimeShop\System\Temp\limeshop_script0.htm
    O16 - DPF: {9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A8489BB47F} (Update Class) - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/CAB/x86/unicode/iuctl.CAB?37653.3619212963
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab

I'll be waiting for your responses.

8. clenny

clenny Thread Starter

I'm cautiously optimistic that the problem has been solved. It seems to be related to Internet Explorer. I reinstalled Explorer and now everything seems to be working properly. I've got Norton installed and it wasn't working properly either. I couldneven get the online scan to work. So they suggested reinstalling Explorer, so I did. I uninstalled and reinstalled Norton and it seems to be okay. I can now view the contents of the folders that I couldn't see before. They weren't hidden I checked the preferences. It still seems odd to me that some corrupt IE files could cause all this but for the moment everythiseems to be working once again. I'll keep you posted.

9. Cookies

Cookies

Thanks for the update, Clenny.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165578

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice