1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Weird Booting Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CajunGuy, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CajunGuy

CajunGuy Thread Starter

Hello all from South Louisiana.

I am working on a computer for a friend and I've come across a problem I've never seen before. It's a Dell Inspiron 530 desktop running Windows Vista. When the computer is off then turned on it will go through the initial Dell splash screen then the screen goes blank and stays that way. Hard drive indicator light doesn't even flicker. Otherwise everything is still running meaning the fans, power supply etc. If I shut it down, either by unplugging or holding the power button, then restart, but go into the bios first, not changing anything, save and exit everything boots up just fine. If I do a restart instead of a shut down the unit reboots just fine. Really has me scratching my head. :eek:

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

I would try and re connecting the hard drive cables. Also set the Hard drive as first to boot and Save and Exit bios.

Just to ask how old is the hard drive and is has the time on the PC ever needed changing as it was out?

If it still has the same problem try setting the bios to default Save and Exit.

3. CajunGuy

CajunGuy Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply Megabite. Yes I did change the hard drive about a month ago but it has worked fine since then. This problem has only started a couple of days ago. I tried doing as you said, putting hard drive as first boot device and the problem continues. Also set bios to default and still have the same results except for the bios re-ordering the boot sequence.

Any other ideas? Driving me crazy.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086571

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice