1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Weird CD writing problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by miltus_31, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. miltus_31

miltus_31 Thread Starter

My computer behaving strangely when trying to write cds in my ASUS DRW-1608P.
    I use nero experss 6.3.1.18. Whenever I write cds in 10x or more speed the buffer level(not read buffer) keeps falling suddenly.And if i write at more than 10x buffer level acts the same and after a few minutes writing about 50 %(approx) shows write error and stops :confused: .When the buffer level falls the HDD LED also stops blinking for a few seconds.This thing has wasted my many blank CDs.:(
    So now I am forced to write CDs at 10x which takes a lot of time.

Please help

SYS CONFIG :
    AMD Athlon XP 1800+ CPU
    ASUS A7N266-VM Motherboard
    128 X 2 DDR266 RAM (32M shared for graphics)
    ASUS CD-S500/A CD ROM
    ASUS DRW-1608P DVD Writer
    Windows XP with SP1
    Seagate ST3120022A Hard Disk 120GB
    Nero Experss 6.3.1.18 (Start Smart) Bundled with DVD writer

2. qldit

qldit

Good Afternoon miltus_31, as you are aware the burn laser deteriorates with useage.
    Your description is kind of inline with "old age".
    Rather than get too involved with troubleshooting and changing things, if the machine has burned more than a couple of spindles of blanks successfully over a period it may be more productive to try a new burner.
    There is nothing worse than having an important burn that wont!

qldit.

3. miltus_31

miltus_31 Thread Starter

Though it had but a few cds successfully in the past but it is only 6 months old. How could that happen??

4. qldit

qldit

G'day miltus_31, That is only an opinion, (and I am most often wrong) but the symptoms are there and the reliability is lost so it becomes a case of which-way to go.

As a test, you might try obtaining a small burning program from here called BurnCDCC, scroll down to find it...
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/utilities.html
    This is an ISO burning program, it operates differently to other burning programs, obtain an ISO file and use the program to try burning that file.
    You can get an ISO file here to try.
    ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/
    An interesting file to burn is the puppy-2.01r2-seamonkey.iso

If you have any problem burning an ISO file, try another burner.

There is method in the madness of burning this file, this program will create a bootable CD which can be booted on to try another burning program in it using a different system. Interesting experiment.
    Cheers, qldit.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483572

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice